SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I get new tyres they are never balanced properly!!! It drives me crazy :evil:

Is this just my experience or do others get this? Am I too fussy perhaps? I think so sometimes, but then why are the tyres delivered on the car from new wobble free?

Just venting :roll:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Take the tires back to the shop and have them "high speed" wheel balanced them.

Some shops have machines that apply radial force on the tires during the balance, which simulates real driving condition. This account for varying deflection and deformation caused by the weight of the vehicle.

Some tires have inherent defect (e.g. oval shaped) which cannot be compensated by balancing. If this is the case, the only option is to replace them.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Some tyre places in the uk actually balance the wheel on the car which may be a good idea in your case. I have had this a couple of times and it really annoys me too. I am the "anal" guy every tyre place loves i always show them the rims and advise that i want the tyre putting on from the back so not to scratch the rim...They do and never scratch it but you can see that look of oh my god we have got one here look in their eye:eek:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
john tanner said:
I am the "anal" guy every tyre place loves i always show them the rims and advise that i want the tyre putting on from the back so not to scratch the rim...They do and never scratch it but you can see that look of oh my god we have got one here look in their eye:eek:
Nice! That's how I feel, but I'm too pathetic too say anything :roll:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I also have them center the little center caps to the Valve stem and put the logo of the tire in the top position with the valve stem on top.

I also tell them that if they use an airgun on my car they will have to remove every lugnut with the stock wrench in the trunk to prove to me that they arent to tight. i hate when I have to change a tire and they are at like 200 foot pounds. they run them way up with the airgun and then hit them with a tourqe wrench well ya it is going to clipck at 65 flbs when it is really way abouve that.

That by the way will warp your wheel and rotor and cause an out of balance situation as well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update on this situation of mine:

The tyres (Pirelli P Zero Asymmetrico 225/45/17) were rebalanced - made no difference even though they said they were out by 25g (?)

Then as an experiment they put the rears on the front - all OK. Excellent, problem solved.

So they replaced the new tyres as they assumed they were faulty in some way. NowI have reduced wobble (but still some present), but the car pulls strongly to the left!! Arrrrrrrrrgh. Whats wrong?

Incidentally, my dealer supplies the tyres, but gets them fitted by a tyre shop nearby. I'm thinking the tyre shop using my suspension bits as jacking points!
Despite all this the dealer has been helpful & courteous. The last thing they said as I left is that if this is no better they will change all 4 tyres. But this will surely introduce another variable and complicate things further if it doesn't work?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Aero said:
An update on this situation of mine:

The tyres (Pirelli P Zero Asymmetrico 225/45/17) were rebalanced - made no difference even though they said they were out by 25g (?)

Then as an experiment they put the rears on the front - all OK. Excellent, problem solved.

So they replaced the new tyres as they assumed they were faulty in some way. NowI have reduced wobble (but still some present), but the car pulls strongly to the left!! Arrrrrrrrrgh. Whats wrong?

Incidentally, my dealer supplies the tyres, but gets them fitted by a tyre shop nearby. I'm thinking the tyre shop using my suspension bits as jacking points!
Despite all this the dealer has been helpful & courteous. The last thing they said as I left is that if this is no better they will change all 4 tyres. But this will surely introduce another variable and complicate things further if it doesn't work?
Hmmmmm..... Tires rebalanced but still vibrates.......Switch front to back and goes away...... You may have a bent rim. I had the exact same situation with my 900S. When the bent rim was on the back, it wasn't very noticeable. Sometimes the rim can be bent so that it is not noticeable by the eye.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
OK, now it sounds like you have a different problem. Better have your wheel alignment checked by the dealer. Once the alignment checks out OK, re-do the wheel balancing again. I am asssuming you are using Saab rims. If not, make sure they replaced the hub adaptor, otherwise it will cause the wheel to wobble too. If they can do on-wheel balancing, ask them to do that and see if it makes any difference. If all else fails, change to another model/make of tyre and see if it makes any difference.

Did you ever notice that red dot and yellow dot on new tyres? You are supposed to align the yellow dot to the valve stem. The yellow dot marks the light point aka weight mark. The red dot marks the high point ie. the wobble point. This is also known as the uniformity mark.

If the tyre shop doesn't know this, they ought to be shot! I always make sure that the shop guys do exactly as I tell them including ensuring that they align the dots to the wheel. This way minimum number of weights is required to balance the wheel. If they put too many weights on the tyre to balance the wheel (assuming they align the dots), 1 of 2 things is wrong, the wheel has a problem or the tyre has a problem. Usually its the tyre. Generally anything more than 25g is way off.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice. I'm reluctant to get them messing with alignment because I see no reason why it would be out in the first place, but if that's what it takes.....

I'll also check out the red and yellow dots.

Thanks.

·
Registered
563 Posts
i've had the same problem too. But then it was ok at first but not good now, but tyes have had it.. gonna try faulkens next, not been really taken with P zeros

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another update for you....

Dealer put the rears on the front (again), and the car drives straight and true.

In fact I never appreciated how bad the pull was on the new tyres, they would pull strongly to the left on acceleration, then when I'd lift off the power the car would 'jump' to the right - very disconcerting. I was compensating all the time whilst driving.

The alignment is fine, so they are ordering me a new set of tyres, different brand.

This clearly isn't the dealers fault, just bad luck. They have been patient, courteous and helpful at all times. Can't fault them. (Riders Falmouth for those in the UK)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Rob in Atlanta said:
Hmmmmm..... Tires rebalanced but still vibrates.......Switch front to back and goes away...... You may have a bent rim. I had the exact same situation with my 900S. When the bent rim was on the back, it wasn't very noticeable. Sometimes the rim can be bent so that it is not noticeable by the eye.
All I can say that if there is a bent wheel causing the problem the tire guy should have picked up on it by now if he's remotely knowledgable. If they're looking to replacing tires as defective and they didn't check to see that the wheels were still round, I'd be looking for another wheel shop!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But why would I have a bent rim? I took perfectly well balanced tyres & rims to the shop - fit new tyres and then the prob occurs.

I truly believe people don't do their jobs properly e.g. I bought a new bike today, the sales assistant wouldn't let me take the bike straight home saying he has a responsibility to make sure the bike is road-worthy before it leaves the shop - so he makes me come back an hour later.

I took the bike home, hopped on it to find the tyres were flat - reading between 15-20psi, should have been minimum 40psi. Handle bars weren't aligned, and the front disc brake was loose. What the h*ll was he doing for an hour??? Couldn't get the basics right - tyres, handlebars and brakes!!!

I also believe that these people get away with this shoddy service because the majority of 'customers' couldn't care less, or don't notice problems in the first instance. I used to think that it's just me that gets cr*p service, but now believe everyone else does too but just don't care/notice.

2p/2c

1 - 14 of 14 Posts