SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my WIS, which is for the 2003 model year, I see the interval for air filter change is:

24,000 mi Rest of the World
30,000 mi USA/Canada
36,000 mi Europe
40,000 mi I think this is the 2008 model year interval

Why so much variability? Is it wise to adopt a higher interval, say 40,000 mi or is that just being a cheapskate?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
puhleese...if you can't afford an air filter at least once a year.....Cheap does not descibe you.. I'd rather not be Banned for giving an opinion.

·
Banned
631 Posts
It all depends on where you are driving. Air filters will get dirty more quickly in city obviously, and highway they will obviously last a lot longer.

Me personally, change air air filters, fluids, more often then most. reason being, PM (preventative maintenance). And Air filters are very important all due to whats its function is. "filtering the engine" A lot of peope are truly cheap when it comes to car maintenance. Its disgusting really, but to answer your question point blank. Normally every 20k. I change mine every 10-20k depending :p

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is Saab just trying to prove that they are low maintainence with little regard for longevity?

I am not so cheap, or at least I didn't use to be. In my last Saab, I changed the oil every 1500-2000 miles and the air filter about every 25,000 mi. In my current 9-3, I changed it at 19,000 mi and saw it was so clean.

So maybe I'll follow the rest of the world interval.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I dont' think it is necessarily an issue of being cheap...everytime I check my air filter (when I do my oil) it looks perfectly clean...its somewhat foolish to change a filter for no apparent reason. I will admit that I do almost all highway driving.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
anvirtue said:
everytime I check my air filter (when I do my oil) it looks perfectly clean...its somewhat foolish to change a filter for no apparent reason. I will admit that I do almost all highway driving.
I think air filters and cabin filters can often go far longer than the change interval. It's probably time manufacturers started building airboxes which measure the pressure drop across the filter so you would get a "Change Filter" message before performance was compromised. This might add a few bucks to the cost of the car, probably less than a tire pressure monitoring system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts