SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got in from a long day at work, and bumped into the bloke over the road as he came out of my gate...

Yet another friend of theirs has reversed into my car! First time for the Saab, but the third time since we've been here, on top of at least one car rolling down the hill into one of ours.

It's not pretty... From the back of the driver's door to the arch, from the tuck-under to the bottom of the window is pushed in.

Photos in daylight.

<groans, attacks wine bottle>

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
I've just got in from a long day at work, and bumped into the bloke over the road as he came out of my gate...

Yet another friend of theirs has reversed into my car! First time for the Saab, but the third time since we've been here, on top of at least one car rolling down the hill into one of ours.

It's not pretty... From the back of the driver's door to the arch, from the tuck-under to the bottom of the window is pushed in.

Photos in daylight.

<groans, attacks wine bottle>
Oh no that doesn't sound too good. Sorry to hear about it.

Craig.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Don't beat yourself up, these things happen - and statistically speaking, the more accidents you have now, the less you'll have later (when c900's are more valuable ;) )!

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TheRedBaron said:
Don't beat yourself up, these things happen - and statistically speaking, the more accidents you have now, the less you'll have later (when c900's are more valuable ;) )!
I wouldn't mind so much if I'd been to blame - but I wasn't even within 30 miles of the damn car at the time...!

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
I wouldn't mind so much if I'd been to blame - but I wasn't even within 30 miles of the damn car at the time...!
Hah! Tell me about it - I've been in 7 accidents, 3 of which involved my car being totalled, and only 1 of which was my fault (and that one involved no other cars)! I guess I was in the car for the rest of them. I have had my share of parking blunders, though, once someone actually left a note saying they saw the girl hit my car and got their license number!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I share the feeling I was in an accident recently, came over the top of a blind hill, doing under the speed limit mind you and smacked the front of my 900 up BAD;oops:, line of about 20-30 cars were lined up at a dangerous intersection. the car in front of me hit the car in front of them. My car took brunt of damage. Thank god for crumple zones. Luckily it wasn't totaled.

Glad your okay, sorry for the 900

-Chip

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a proper look in daylight this morning - and some pics. Didn't have time to download them off the camera before I left, but...

I dunno how hard she was reversing out of that drive, but it's pushed the car a few inches sideways until the kerb stopped it...

<shakes head> Un-bloody-believable.

Just spoken to mate-of-mate bodyshop guy, and (without seeing it) he reckons it may pull out with just some tidying around the swage lines, paint etc, it may well be financially viable. If a wing's needed, the car'll likely be written off by the insurance. Not if I can help it! This is going to be fun. I can't wait until she rings me...

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident, but at least she's insured.

Get nailed sometime by a [email protected] who's not - that's a real definition of joy. The state gets their money (fines) but you (the one with the wrecked car) are left going after the SOB in court, where (when I had to do this) you get informed that "you can't get blood out of stone" because the guy is jobless and broke and all that crap. I ended up taking it in the shorts for the car and the jobless SOB was driving around (no license, no insurance) a couple days after the court date.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SteveTheFolkie said:
Sorry to hear about the accident, but at least she's insured.
Spoken to her this morning. She seems to be having some difficulty accepting that it _is_ perfectly OK to park black cars on the road after dark, and that reversing sensors are not intended to completely replace mirrors...

Get nailed sometime by a [email protected] who's not - that's a real definition of joy. The state gets their money (fines) but you (the one with the wrecked car) are left going after the SOB in court, where (when I had to do this) you get informed that "you can't get blood out of stone" because the guy is jobless and broke and all that crap. I ended up taking it in the shorts for the car and the jobless SOB was driving around (no license, no insurance) a couple days after the court date.
Over here, there's an uninsured loss scheme which all those of us who do have insurance pay a small chunk of our premium into, which'd pay out in that case. Probably not in full, but at least you wouldn't be _totally_ stuffed.

Oh, and they tend to ban people from driving if they don't have insurance or licence. If they're then stupid enough to get caught driving whilst banned, it's a short holiday for them. Also, more and more police cars have automated online access to the insurance & MOT databases, together with flags as to whether the car's associated with a "person of interest" for other reasons...

Doesn't stop an estimated 1 in 10 drivers being uninsured, though.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
At least around here, we have a part of our insurance available to cover uninsured motorists. I think mine is up to 50,000 dollars or something like that, and isn't too expensive.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Ouch! is the damage confined to the quarter or did the door get it too? It looks like from your photos that a good body shop could bang the dent out and save the quarter pannel. If the car is black (it looks like it in the pictures) the paint will match. They will have to paint the entire pannel (from the roof to the bottom, from the hatch to the door) but it looks do-able. I am sorry it happened to you.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Inside that section of the car is a reinforcement beam. If teh beam is not bent then repair should be very simple.

I had a car that was dented here by a complete idiot and I pused the dent out with a piece of wood.

I do not understand:

The person who hits you pays up! If they are driving via reverse sensors then they should be banned from road use!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
At least you know who did it. One time I went to see a friend of mine and stayed the night at her place. In the morning we found out someone backed into the rear left door of my 94 Jetta. It is bad enough we had to spend time banging it so the two doors on that side would open. But, we never caught up who did it. :x

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dasander said:
Ouch! is the damage confined to the quarter or did the door get it too?
The door looks fine. I wouldn't have minded too much if the door HAD taken it (instead...), as I've got one lined up... (that one's got a small rust hole under the mirror)

If the car is black (it looks like it in the pictures)
It is.

the paint will match.
Heh. I used to have a black Cit CX. Get the light right on it, and it was about five different shades...

·
4,637 Posts
So, if she's unwilling to sort it out, have her done for reversing out into a street. You're not supposed to do that...

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Nasty. Why couldn't the stupid woman have hit the door instead?

Know who is reponsible for the damage and getting them to formally admit guilt are two different things. Any witnesses? Good luck - pursue her vigorously.

Get some pictures of her vehicle, especially any paint marks on her bumpers or other evidence.

Be careful where you go to get the damage repair. Steer clear of Neo Brothers as their reputation is bad.

dasander said:
If the car is black the paint will match.
A friend told me about a poster on the wall at work (don't remember where, may have been GKN). It showed many different shades of black :eek: Something over a hundred maybe. So even black is difficult to colour match.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Matthew said:
Know who is reponsible for the damage and getting them to formally admit guilt are two different things.
Oh, she's accepted that she's paying... That's not a problem.

Get some pictures of her vehicle, especially any paint marks on her bumpers or other evidence.
There is apparently *nothing* on hers. Not a mark. Barely disturbed the dirt. Big Pug 807 people carrier. I'm sure if I reversed into her side panel at a rate of knots the situation would have been the same - bumper unmarked, side stove.

Be careful where you go to get the damage repair. Steer clear of Neo Brothers as their reputation is bad.
Bodywork's bodywork's bodywork... I'm almost certainly going to use a local small place with a good rep - they do a lot of work for a garagiste mate of mine.

If it needs a side panel, then I'll try and source one on here, but let's hope not.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts