SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per my thread on my 2.1 sedan issues with what appears to be dud crank sensor, I'm wondering why it's so difficult to first of all find and secondly repair the sensor assemblies so they work good as new again.

I've spoken to my Saab parts guy today to buy a used sensor assembly as my repaired one is misbehaving and I'm yet to figure out why. It's remotely possible that the sensor supplied in the kit I used was already defective but no way to know.

Obviously there's a risk with a used CPS that it can fail at any time then it's a big job to get at it. How many people with 2.0 or 2.1 non-turbo C900's carry an 'emergency' b202 turbo hall-effect sensor distributor and suitable wiring harness to use in case of failure of the one at the crank pulley? ;-)

As we know the genuine Saab assembly 74 84 546 is very NLA and probably has been for years, so to have such a critical part as the CPS not available is a problem.

As the housings are getting rarer and the sensors themselves seem to by and large be pure unobtainium what are the alternatives?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sensor still is available:
Honeywell hall effect sensor for Saab non-turbo crank pulley ignition sensor
But its housing apparently is not. There is a poster here (Murry101) who made me some NG900 sun visor clips using 3D printing. Perhaps he could make the hall effect housing if you send him one to copy. It's a good idea to carry a spare distributor with hall sensor and wire harness ready to plug in to 3 prong connector, in case crank hall sensor fails.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Doesn't Eeuroparts still sell a new Hall sensor?
I put one on my 92 c900s vert. Not an easy job. Another easier fix is to swap in a distributor from a turbo model since that part has the hall sensor built in. Just splice the wires.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts