SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the manual last night, and it only recommended setting 5 when using AC. Whats up with that?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would guess that it would blow too much air over the heat exchanger, and would not provide sufficient warming. I don't think it would have the ability to cool the water in the cooling system too much that it would impact engine operating temp. I'm pretty sure that you won't hurt anything by running the fan on high with heat.

Bryan

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
That's a great answer, Bryan, and is probably the thinking behind the restriction. Whether or not it could drop the engine temp depends on the temperature of the ambient air and the size of the heater core. I've been in cars where you could only use the heater in recirc mode on very cold days, especially while cruising at highway speeds. And, yes, you could watch the engine temperature drop if you didn't switch to recirc.

Modern ECU's are very picky about operating temp. You can't replace a 192 thermostat with a 185 anymore, or you risk preventing the car from ever running in closed loop.

·
Registered
230 Posts
So, if you have ACC and set the temp for say seventy five degrees, and you just got into the car on a thirty degree morning, the fan will not go to the highest setting?

Kind of a weird request isn't it.
Imagine going to the dealer with a heating problem and them telling you it was caused by running the fan on five with the heat on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts