SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the various parts websites and it seems all the ignition switch modules are sold disassembled/as a rebuild kit. Anyone know why? If they're including all the parts, why not just sell it assembled/ready to install?

·
Super Moderator
18,995 Posts
Just by a used one off ebay. Can't be any more expensive. Pop it in. Done.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have a spare used one I bought at 'half-off' day at the local U-Pull junkyard for about $3. :) I'm so paranoid about the electrical system in this car ('04 Aero) that I'm thinking of buying brand new electrical parts to replace any that seem questionable. (As they fail.) I've put less than 3,000 miles on the car and it left me (temporarily) stranded in a parking lot (steering lock malfunction) last night at 11:00pm. I have a very low tolerance for cars that leave me stranded...:nono;:x

·
Super Moderator
18,995 Posts
I hear you. Mine left my wife stranded at the airport after a business trip. She was less than pleased. Took 30 mins for her to somehow get it to start but she had no speedo and a litany of errors on the SID. Won't drive it anymore. That's when I decided I had to buy a tech2. Can't imagine owning a Saab without it now.

<-- big fan of owning a tech2.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For a while the new ones were on backorder. I bought one from Napa that looked like the same supplier as the Saab part.
There’s a lot of threads about ISM’s on here. People spill drinks into them, they wear quickly, and I really dont enjoy changing them out. Lots of plastic to disassemble.

Ps if ur worried about the electrical, make sure u have a good strong battery (get it tested at autoparts store). Tight connections to battery, and im told theres a ground point under the battery tray that can get corroded. Make sure its clean , tight, shiny metal.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
I've been looking at the various parts websites and it seems all the ignition switch modules are sold disassembled/as a rebuild kit. Anyone know why? If they're including all the parts, why not just sell it assembled/ready to install?
Original plastic parts manufacturer do not exist any more, so there is no new plastic parts, only electrical parts.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I purchased a kit a couple of months ago. This is what is included. Tho the top plastic portion needed to be assembled.
What you are reusing is the base, the contacts and the locking solenoid.
In my case, what I really needed was the electronic board, as the contact pads where worn out. Buying the kit worked out for me.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts