SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had to call a guy with a 10 year old Honda CRV and give him a quote for a complete exhaust system, manifold all the way back including cats. $3000. Worth more than the car. I pulled him aside when he came to get his car and told him to go to Muffler Mania, they bend all the pipes and weld everything up. Probably for about $1000. Part of my one week stint as a Service Manager at a national retail tire chain. That place was a clusterf***k.
Proves the point.
And BTW I shouldn't really have tarred all mechanics with the same brush. I know there are plenty of decent ones around who aren't so greedy. Perhaps the vitriol is better directed at the car and parts supply businesses, who are laughing all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I know a few good ones, very honest. But you are right, maybe not tarring everyone. But it gets harder and harder to find the good ones. Got a "rebuilt" transmission for a VW Rabbit, upon inspection later I could see where they painted right over the grease and other crap built up all over the trans! Looked nice and at least worked. but very disappointed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just as the title of the thread I want to know why people hate Saabs so much? I don't really get it they are kinda like other euro cars from the era and yet people hate them. Sure they are a little different but every brand has its oddities.
Ok. Ill chime in. There are the ignorant who know zip about Saab those I come across not as frequent but when I do I hear them say Saab are nothing but money pits. I tell them many Ford, GM and definitely BMW's are money pits just give them a little time. Those people have never owned a Saab and rely pretty much on hearsay.
Now today I own a recently acquisition-ed lovely green 2k 9-3 hatchback (I miss my 9-5 wagon dearly but it had over 200K so I sold it still ran well too) I purchased from a Saab mechanic with 139K that Ive put on over 10K in 6 months with relatively few issues. The car is 20 freakin' years old and I drove it from Oregon to CA to AZ and back to the NE in over three weeks with ZERO issues. A car packed to the brim with personal belongings and a Sears cargo carrier on top (aerodynamic hell)!

What are you going to buy today that is
a: this safe a vehicle
b: is 2 decades old with zero electrical or engine issues
c: gets an average of 27mpg loaded to the brim with heavy cargo traveling a steady 70mph for thousands of miles non-stop?
d: still looks very aesthetically unique in the 21st century
Ive had a few people tell me its a nice looking car as well. You dont hear that from Honda Civics or run of the mill Chrysler's!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts