SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title of the thread I want to know why people hate Saabs so much? I don't really get it they are kinda like other euro cars from the era and yet people hate them. Sure they are a little different but every brand has its oddities.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Who do you think hates Saabs? I have never met such a person, and I think I know a lot of people and have had a lot of Saabs!

·
Registered
644 Posts
They are just trolls. But not the trolls from Trollhättan... just different kind of trolls. Ahhh.. Internet trolls to be precise.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
The only time I've ever had anyone express any negativity towards a Saab was my first one... we were all teenagers, and a friend couldn't understand why I wanted a "weirdo euro" instead of a Honda. Because in his mind the only cars worth owning were Hondas. Hard to take that guy seriously. Twenty-some-odd years later that dude owns a V8 S4, so it's clear that a) he was wrong about Hondas being the only cars worth owning, and b) he doesn't understand the meaning of "weirdo" … timing chain driven power steering pumps at the back of the engine bay? COME ON.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
People hate what they don't understand. They won't bother to understand or listen because they heard this or that from someone who is equally ignorant about Saab's and probably life in general.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Something wrong with manufacturer who puts there engine in backwards possibly that do it all that way lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in south Africa. And drive a very clean 2001 93 and people always stare at my baby....I also like to show them how fast it is:p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, I love my 'new' 1999 93, I hope it'll be a good relationship - only done 70 ks in her so far. BUT!
Don't be too quick to hang s*it on Hondas. My '1993 4 cyl Accord has done just short of half a million ks (In tough Aussie country conditions). In that time the only thing that has gone wrong is that the fuel pump failed at around 250,000 klicks. Just basic servicing - oil and filter, by me, no expensive 'dealer-services'. Timing belt done twice, waterpump once. Never garaged. Apart from the clearcoat starting to flake on the roof, it still looks very good. Yes I hit a 'roo awhile ago, but luckily got a cheap good replacement bonnet (hood?) and headlight for it.
And I'm not the only one who's had great service out of a Honda.
I sure like my little 93 so far, if it serves me one quarter as well as the Honda (which my son has now stolen!) -I'll be very happy.
All of the people who've seen my Saab love it, (my mates are starting to bow in my presence :cool:) mind you it is a black one-owner low k mintie!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just a heads up for your car.!!
Get yourself a spare coil pack and crank position sensor and you good to go..
These thing can and will just die on you..
You won't regret it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just a heads up for your car.!!
Get yourself a spare coil pack and crank position sensor and you good to go..
These thing can and will just die on you..
You won't regret it
Believe it or not those are just the things that have been recently fitted on my car. Thx for the tip.
I need to fit new front shocks though now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also need new front shocks.
And unfortunately this whole country doesn't have stock.
Will have to get online sometime..
Unless somebody can please give me specs and I can try get equavelant...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually, getting back to the original question... I don't think anyone hates Saabs at all. I get admiring glances in my 93, (but that may be because of my generally regal demeanour). I know plenty of people who hate Beemers and Mercs, (because the owners tend to be rich and don't have much imagination). Peugot and Alfa owners... well, they might have started off rich, but after running their cars for a few years they ain't!

(Just having a laugh!)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Saab always concentrated on getting the basics right so they didn't add bells, whistles, and chrome as quickly as other manufacturers. On the surface, the prices seemed a little high for what you got, but as Jeremy Clarkson once related:

"Nobody could ever work out why Saab cost so much until they crashed it."

·
Registered
250 Posts
High cost of maintenance is the chief complaint I've heard. A fair number of working mechanics don't understand these cars. So some owners pay lots for them to replace unneeded items. Same happens to DIY owners who throw parts at repairs. How many misfiring motor threads have we seen here? :ROFLMAO:

In addition, some DIY owners get perturbed after the purchase when they find out they really need to buy (or have access to) a Tech II or MDI2/GDS2 (in the case of 2010 or newer 9-5 owners) to work on these cars, forgetting that holds true for everything GM has made for 20+ years now.

Here's a more general example. A friend of mine has a 2006 Chevrolet HHR that was throwing intermittent check engine light. The motor is a Gen 2 Ecotech (Saabs are mostly Gen 1). The local dealer told him they couldn't get the car to fail, and there were no stored codes. We hooked up my Tech II with GM firmware, and it told us there were stored DTCs for the variable valve timing solenoid failing - these would periodically clear the CE light, because the solenoid was sticking or the drive electronics was latching up intermittently. We left those in the ECM and he took the car back to the dealer to check it out. They told him again that there were no codes stored in the car, and charged him $200.

So it's not just Saabs. People complain rather loudly about paying $100-125/hr for labor for someone who's in over their head.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, and we shouldn't think Japanese cars are immune to the 'mountainous' repair costs. Anything other than the common basic Jap models will cost an arm and a leg for parts.
The REAL problem is that NOTHING is built to be repaired nowadays. The Jap cars are so reliable that nothing needs replacing for what, maybe 10 years... after thet, you're on your own, (probably like a Saab of a similar age). Has anyone noticed that whilst the car mechanic of 20 years ago was happy with a modest comfortable life, nowadays they have to have the big V8 twin-cab ute pulling an 80 grand boat own to the weekender house overlooking the ocean every weekend? Brain surgeons/rocket scientists they reckon! What a laugh. Many of them have no deep understanding of it all, I suppose they're just taught by rote about modern cars, and that's it.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I had to call a guy with a 10 year old Honda CRV and give him a quote for a complete exhaust system, manifold all the way back including cats. $3000. Worth more than the car. I pulled him aside when he came to get his car and told him to go to Muffler Mania, they bend all the pipes and weld everything up. Probably for about $1000. Part of my one week stint as a Service Manager at a national retail tire chain. That place was a clusterf***k.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts