SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite being a turbo car, my 900 has a front engine mount like this:

Is this actually more robust on a tuned car than the usual hydraulic engine mount?

I'm wondering whether to change it to hydraulic during the car's refurb. I know I'd need to change the front of the primary drive case but I'll be taking that off anyway to fit Type 8s.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Heres what I was told by a good mechanic who got me the turbo mount for my non-turbo 900 with turbo trans. that the hydraulic is smoother than the solid. and with the rubber bump stop it should fair better with the turbo. I would just keep it on until it tears or breaks. then try the hydraulic. The solid looks pretty rugged though. Is that the new purchase thats getting an overhaul?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I was under the impression that ALL 16V engines had hydraulic motor mounts on the 900.

http://eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=5583

eeuroparts.com lists only hydraulic mounts for ALL 16V engines in the c900.

Perhaps Fred did some work in this area? Different design for the LPT? I have never heard or seen a solid mount for a 16V 900.

PS- Matthew tis your 900 not a 1992? I remember when we looked at the add you were surprsied it was not a 1991 when I pointed it out. Either way, eeuroparts.com lists only one mount for 1991-1993 900 16V Saabs

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
That's BS I've owned several NA 16v cars with solid mount. Only my Turbo models have had hydraulics.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Trust in the solid mounts on 16v's. Thats all I have seen in the junk yards on non-turbos. 100% of the time. And not only that. But even verts with turbos get solid mounts. Only 3dr (states we dont have 2drs) turbos have the hydraulic mounts

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
900t said:
That's BS I've owned several NA 16v cars with solid mount. Only my Turbo models have had hydraulics.

So then tell eeuroparts.com! They do not list solid.

Again I said I was under the "impression".

1987 Convertible brochure makes note of hydraulic engine mountings.-Just to complicate things

·
Registered
959 Posts
I would be willing to lay some money down on this one. I have an 87 900 non turbo with a turbo tranny. Who ever owned my car before me was an idiot. they didnt install any mount on the front motor/trans mount. I drove it that way for a number of years and started breaking mounts left and right. until I took it to a mechanic and they said oh you dont have a mount bracket. so he made one that was super crappy and rattled non stop. So finally I said I will find a bracket. after seaching 4 junk yards, calling 10 shops around the country to only find one guy in NM who knew what was going on and said. The reason you are having so much trouble finding the right bracket is because you have turbo tranny in a NA. And sure enough after I went to a shop they had a 900 turbo vert and 900 turbo 3dr for sale. So I check both out and the 3dr had the bracket and the vert had the solid. So now when I go to the yards to have a look around I try and find a 900 3dr turbo to take the bracket off in case anything happens to mine. sorry for the long article its just that I became through experience a connoisseur of motor mounts and brackets on my month quest.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any other LPT owners care to comment?

davidlytle said:
Is that the new purchase thats getting an overhaul?
Not that new anymore :lol: But yeah that's the car.

woywitka said:
Perhaps Fred did some work in this area? Different design for the LPT? I have never heard or seen a solid mount for a 16V 900.

PS- Matthew tis your 900 not a 1992? I remember when we looked at the add you were surprsied it was not a 1991
I very much doubt Fred changed the front mount and primary drive cover. I don't think he was into modifications like that. I am certain the car's on the original gearbox too.

The car is definitely not a 1992 - the cylinder head's stamped 1990 and the car was first registered on 1st January 1991. I'll have to take another look at that advert.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Matthew said:
Any other LPT owners care to comment?.....
been thru too many gearboxes to tell now.... all the replacements came from non turbo's i think

the Ruby has a hydro tho

G

·
Registered
181 Posts
davidlytle said:
But even verts with turbos get solid mounts. Only 3dr (states we dont have 2drs) turbos have the hydraulic mounts
Why 3drs and not 5drs or verts? It seems almost random, like the old Fiat Strada 130TCs that had Weber, Dellorto or Solex carbs depending upon what happened to arrive at the factory that day.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I converted my '94 turbo vert's front mount from hydraulic to solid--more robust (or so I think). My '88 3 door turbo had a solid front, too. My '91 turbo vert (just traded for a '94 9000 Aero) had a solid front mount as well.

Side mounts are all hydraulic.

Happy New Year! :cheesy:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
davidlytle said:
I have never seen a 5dr in the states. I have seen 4dr's
They only imported to US for 1979, 1980 maybe 1981.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Matthew said:
Is there anything to be gained in converting to a hydraulic front engine mount? I have all the bits already. Why did Saab do it to mainly the FPT 900s?
<hazards guess>
Refinement. The FPTs weren't just the quickest, they were the most expensive. If an LPT is "quick enough", you've got to give something extra to persuade 'em to splash that little extra cash.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Might be a little bit smoother, but I think most of the vibration damping is done by the side mounts. I'd leave it as is. I don't see any evidence that saab had a process of fitting solid mounts to lpts. It looks like saab didn't have any hangups about changing spec slightly - plenty of c900's have anomalies in the parts used. Theres no technical justification for it, if anything you'd expect a solid mount on the fpt rather than the lpt, but it doesn't seem to have caused a problem either, at least in this case.

So:

1) If saab fitted a hyrdaulic to yours, its a fluke - as nuclear_jimbo says, whatever was lying around the factory that day.

2) Most likely a garage fitted the solid mount to the car before fred owned it. Unless he owned it from new.. in which case see #1

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Shan said:
I reckon the LPT was intended to be a budget c900 turbo and the factory probably saved a hundred bucks per car on production costs by using the solid mount, instead of the hydraulic one.

Likely the result of marketing.

If the "premium" 900s did not have enough advantage in terms of branding and such then nobody would pay the extra for just a nameplate and a turbocharger they will never use.

Does not make sense why the convertibles got a solid mount:confused: . In the early days the convertible came only fully loaded with every possible option. It was no until 1990 that Saab decided to introduce lower cost convertibles in some markets and decreased the standard features list.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
philjohnhb said:
My 'vert has a hydraulic mount as did my last one. I would think that with the extra torque of the FPT the Hyd mount would reduce the shock loading on the gearbox and allow smoother pickup.

As does mine, but poeple above say otherwise:confused:

eeuroparts.com lists hydraulic for the convertible.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts