SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, if this is a repeat - slap me! :lol:.

Q: Why did you buy your saab 9-5?
Because the 9-3 wasn't good enough :cheesy:

A: Mine anyway. Ages ago, I owned a 9000 2.3T. I still have good memories, what a car!, later I also had an S regged 9-3. I had problems with both with high maintenance costs. Very painful... Decided to leave Saab behind and joined the 4X4 club. Missed the Saab so much so I went back and got a 04 95 Aero!

Bought the newest one I could afford thinking most of the previous flaws would have been ironed out. I love this car, makes me smile in the morning before heading for work :D. And on my way home on the dual carriageway hearing the nice sound as I put my foot down... :cool: bye!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Answer -1- The colour, just saw it and said yes! :p

Answer -2- I wanted a Saab with a turbo this time ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
because .....

it was cheap,
it was different
it was powerful
it was modded
it was tidy
it was PIMP! haha :suprised;

·
Registered
312 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Answer -1- The colour, just saw it and said yes! :p
Surprise Surprise! :cheesy:

My wife sat started sitting in the back of my Alfa after our first baby girl was born.

The Alfa had Eibach Springs, Eibach anti-roll bars which must've been almost 2 inches thick, KONI shocks and 40 profile tyres.

Altough the Alfa could corner at ridiculous speeds, my wife commented that there was literally no give in the back.

From then I knew that it was the end of the Alfa for me.

I'd always liked Saabs and I almost went for Saab instead of Alfa.

Wanted something big, super safe and quick (for safer overtaking).

Saw the spec of the 9-5 Aero and I knew that was the one.

Saw a 3 year old one in black and that was it, test drive and my wife and I were sold - fantastic :cheesy:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
My dad got an Audi, but didn't trade in his Saab cause he could get a tax write off if he sold it. Knowing what a fool he was and how much it was worth I gladly took it off his hands. :cheesy:

X

·
0 Posts
Wanted an estate. Test drove a merc, volvo, suburu and Saab all within my budget. The Saab came out on top. Simple as that.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
For the money, what else would I get? BMW 325? Audi A4 1.8T? Merc C230? Are you kidding? People that buy the above cars are either fools or simply don't know about the 9-5. They are roughly the same weight as the cars mentioned above but have loads more room and loads more power with very similar features and amenities. Sold. I do admit though that I only lasted a year in the automatic before it ate me up to death and I had to get a manual trans. Now all is well though. :cool:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
They have great deals on used ones. Picked mine up for $20k. I also like its looks and the performance that came with it. I am also very a big fan of turbo cars. Also, the reliability seems good. It may seem like there are a lot of problems with them in this forum, but, hey, it's a forum and that's where people talk about problems regardless of car make and model.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Had two 9000's, 1st one was auto and stolen after 5 weeks of ownership, :cry: 2nd one was manual and kept eating clutch slave cylinders so part/ex'd it in for the 9-5, got an auto again cos most of my driving is in traffic around London.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Great points guys. I bought my 2003 as a 3k mile demo car from a dealer, titled as new with new car financing for $12,000 off sticker. Also the reliability is very strong and gets great marks for such from various sources.

Kerm my first Saab was a 9000 Aero that had the clutch hydraulics replaced twice before 80k miles. What's the deal with that? I thought it was just me.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
XAAMOTTOMAAX said:
Kerm my first Saab was a 9000 Aero that had the clutch hydraulics replaced twice before 80k miles. What's the deal with that? I thought it was just me.
Think its the 9000 weak spot (that and the AIC valve), i know somebody else who's having problems with his master/slave cylinder at the moment. We only have to worry about engine sludging and CPS faults.:roll: :cheesy:

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Why I got my 9-5 Aero?

• I test drove a 9-3 Viggen, but felt too cramped in it.
  • Test drove a BMW M3. Loved its performance, but thought it was terribly cramped and uncomfortable.
  • Test drove a BMW 540 6-speed, loved the car, but it was older than the equivalent 9-5, and would likely give me more reliability issues

So I stuck with the 9-5, and I really like it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Finn said:
Wanted an estate. Test drove a merc, volvo, suburu and Saab all within my budget. The Saab came out on top. Simple as that.
Finn, exactly the same reasons as me apart from i gave a couple of Audi A4 Avants tests too. The Saab appealed to me like none of the others did.

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
87 Posts
mine is the result of a 7 month car search. I wanted to get another saab and when I found out I could afford it (I'm only twenty and in school) I started searching. I was thinking 9-3, and had never contemplated the upgrade to a 9-5. I actually only test drove mine for kicks because I was bored a couple weeks ago and was just blown away. Plus, the girls dig it.:D

·
Registered
203 Posts
With a young family and buying a house we had a pretty tight budget so we always got Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot family saloons (Mr & Mrs suburban). When the kids left home and the latest family saloon gave up I decided I wanted something with a bit more character / soul. ( SWMBO has a Yaris - therefore I wanted).

I narrowed it down to BMW, Audi, Merc, Saab.

I drove a couple of Mercs and I wasn’t impressed.

Then went to a garage selling an Audi A6, a couple of 3 series & a 5 series BMW, and a SAAB.

Drove the Saab first then the A6 & 5 series they were all similar age, mileage and trim.

Didn’t bother driving the 3 series, climbed in and got straight out.

The Saab stood head and shoulders above the rest.

Then SWMBO said “Your a bloody fool if you don’t get this Saab”.

·
Registered
423 Posts
SAAB 9-5 estate - Love the shape, looks - Especially from the side :p - comfort and "smoothness". Spent 6 months looking for the right one.

Have now got the best colour SAAB used (no longer available), and as Kermit has pointed out in another thread - pretty rare as well - silver green metallic or more correctly "Metallic Sun Green" :cool: .

Great power, great comfort, and best of all more "goodies" than my partners 900 vert :cheesy: - She wants my heated seats, ACC and auto box !!!!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I had narrowed my search down to :- first choice = BMW 528 1996-1998

second choice= SAAB 9 5
Always had in my mind the nicasil bore wear problem that was possible in the 5 series that I could afford. Anyway, came across my 9 5 locally , took it for a test drive (never driven any SAAB before) and was well impressed, had it for over a year now and am perfectly happy with it;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
As for me, I had 92 Saab 9000cs 2.0lpt... had more miles on it than the starship enterprise... (assuming that has an odometre :) ) but the car just kept going with minor niggly faults here and there.

The one that what was the straw that broke the camels back was.. everytime I turned on my headlights the whole car would die out... ended up reseating all the cables on the unused alarm trying to remedy the problem. Which didnt work so I got the advice of a local saab indy.... who told me what wires to join etc..

Did that and by sheer miracle I managed to resolve the issue..... next week went down to a garage in town where they had a lovely scarabee green 9-5SE and the rest is history.

I still see my white 9000 floating around dublin... some has took a bad effort of chav'ing it up since.. with a chrome exhaust tip... and some other things I care not to mention.

Michael

1 - 20 of 31 Posts