SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Incredibly strange occurrence this morning in my '06 2.3T with the DRL fuse pulled (and maybe DRL disabled in Tech2...can't recall). Started the car at home, headlights still on from driving last night. I turned the headlight switch to off, and just assumed that the headlights went off--I don't remember.

Drove to work, stopping at a gas station to add some fuel to the tank. I don't recall if the headlights were on or off when I was fueling. Headlight switch in off position.

Continued on to work, pulled into the parking lot behind another parked car, turned off ignition and noticed that my HID lights were reflecting off the car in front of me. Looked at the headlight switch--it's in the OFF position. Rotated the switch to on, then back to off--no change. Got out of the car and actually looked at the headlights directly to make sure I wasn't seeing some odd reflection artifact--no, they are definitely on!

Get back into the car, put key in ignition and turn the key to the "ON" position and the lights go off immediately. Rotated the headlight switch to on, and the lights come on. Rotated headlight switch back to off, lights go off. Turn headlight switch back to on, lights come on. Turn key to off, lights go off.

Any ideas on what may have happened? Anybody ever experience this? Note: I don't have a Tech2. I might be able to borrow one if necessary...

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
Could you have triggered the "safety home" feature (whatever it's called), that keeps the headlights on for 30 seconds?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. I don't know. I presume that's triggered by pulling on the flash-to-pass? I'll check the manual later.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Used to happen to me a fair bit until I cleaned the key cylinder out and adjusted how quickly I turn off the car and remove the key (don't speed through the process).
No issues since my "adjustments."

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm on the tail-end of getting over a viral crud cold, so I'm not doing anything very quickly today.

What did you to do clean out your key cylinder? Vacuum?

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
This used to happen to my 2003 Aero especially when I pulled up, turned off and pulled the key out quite fast.

I never did figure it out, it was not the "follow me home" because it would not go off after a couple of minutes. But turning the key on and then off again made the problem go away.

Just don't turn the car off and pull the key out really fast, it'll never happen again.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought this was "solved" by not shutting down quickly. However, today when I pulled into the parking place at the office and turned off the ignition, I noticed the reflection of my HIDs back at me from the tail of the car parking in front of me--except I haven't had the headlights on since last Thursday (haven't driven this car at night). The headlight switch has been off the whole time.

As has happened in other situations, I put the key back into the ignition and turned it to first stop and the headlights went out. Rotated back to OFF and headlights stayed off.

Anyone care to posit any hypotheses?

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Mine always was when I pulled the key out fast. Didn't really matter if the headlights were on or off.

I dug into the wiring diagram once and was looking for something that I could find (like a relay or something) that was failing but never found it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine always was when I pulled the key out fast. Didn't really matter if the headlights were on or off.
In this case, the key was still in the ignition, just in the OFF position. I.e., I pulled into the spot, put the car in Park, turned the ignition to OFF, looked up and noticed the lights on.

Demons?

·
Registered
501 Posts
HID lights I had did this intermittently. I am so happy for just halogens on my current Saab. I had replaced the orange large relay in the fuse box. that ceased several of the issues. but the staying on still remoained

·
Registered
605 Posts
It has happened to me- I shut off the car to run into a store and realize I am holding the key in my hand and the headlights are on. I thing what you want to do is wiggle the lock cylinder as you pull the key out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts