SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 90 turbo convertible and am unable to lock the doors on the car. If I put the key in the door it is unmoveable in either the drivers or passengers door. I am also unable to push the lock tabs down on the doors to lock them. I have read archive posts on not being able to unlock the car but none on locking it....any suggestions? Thanks is advance.

1990 turbo vert

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
you should be able to push the passenger one down and unlock it seperatly without any problem, but it might be that the C/L solenoid is jammed and will not let it operate, either through mechanical failure on the bit inside the drivers door, or the solenoid is permanantly activated ??/ just guessing, but undo the connector form solenoid under the knee roll and see if it then allows operation with the key, otherwise it's the lock/solenoid in the door, but should work at least one anyway.
does the boot lock work

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Check the latch arm on the outside edge of the door is not pushed the wrong way. If it is you will not be able to do anything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all, I have a 90 turbo convertible and am unable to lock the doors on the car. If I put the key in the door it is unmoveable in either the drivers or passengers door. I am also unable to push the lock tabs down on the doors to lock them. I have read archive posts on not being able to unlock the car but none on locking it....any suggestions? Thanks is advance.

1990 turbo vert
Could it be that the ignition switch was exchanged with one having a different lock cylinder? Does the key work in the glovebox and trunk?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am able to pull and push the passenger door lock knob ok, and the key fits the glove box lock and works fine there too. But the doors and trunk will accept the key, but will not turn in the cylinders moving the lock on or off. I am guessing I need to remove the drivers knee bolster to disconnect the automatic locking system feature? What does the connectors look like? Thanks.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
If the only anomaly is the left door lock, the problem will be in the latch mechanism or, more likely, the Central Locking motor in the door. Disconnecting wires won't do a thing.

Any 900 key will work in any 900 Glove Box lock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, its not just the left door lock. All doors and the trunk have the same issue....key goes in but cannot move the mechanism by either turning right or left, almost like the lock was frozen or something. Doors open and close fine with the handle, just can't lock them or unlock them.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Well, its not just the left door lock. All doors and the trunk have the same issue....key goes in but cannot move the mechanism by either turning right or left, almost like the lock was frozen or something. Doors open and close fine with the handle, just can't lock them or unlock them.
Are you really sure you have the right key? I've done exactly the same before realising I had the wrong one. The key could be damaged too.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
On a previous car, the person I bought it from changed the driver's door, internals and all, and I never had the right key for the new lock. I could lock it from the passenger side though...sounds like you're jammed up in the lock mechanism if you can't rasie or lower the lock button. I'd start by pulling the door panel and seeing what's holding it up.

[edit] just saw that you posted you're having this problem with all the locks, trunk included. I think Peva's right...you've got the wrong key. Maybe a new ignition barrel was installed [/edit]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the door key supposed to open the glove box too? Mine does. Does the ignition key work the door locks too on 900's?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Is the door key supposed to open the glove box too? Mine does. Does the ignition key work the door locks too on 900's?
All Saab keys open the glove box. The door key should fit ignition too unless a key barrel has been changed. To some up, OEM, one key should fit all locks on the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if I understand you correctly, if the PO had changed the ignition lock and key, then the new ignition key would also fit the glove box even though its a different key?

·
Registered
18 Posts
So if I understand you correctly, if the PO had changed the ignition lock and key, then the new ignition key would also fit the glove box even though its a different key?
If they changed the ignition lock then you could start the engine but not turn the key in any other lock; conversely if you had the other lock key it would not turn the ignition.

The glove box is a toss-up; it does not have the same number of tumblers as the other locks, and the manufacturing of glove box locks is such that just about any Saab 900 key of the same era is probably going to turn it.

Chances are though if the ignition key works in the ignition and nowhere else then you have a replaced ignition switch.

A sure way to find out without tearing the door jambs off is to get the key code for your locks and have a key cut. I don't know that much about Saabs (I've had one for two weeks) but I've had keys made for every manner of European car with the codes. Perhaps a Saab dealer...uh...a former? Saab dealer? can pull the key code for you from the VIN. Best case you end up with one key for the ignition and one for the doors. Worst case you have an extra key that fits all of your locks and you still have to diagnose the issue with the doors and trunks.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
The vin nbr or reg mark will usually get you a key, but you need to take the registration document with you, for obvious reasons.
I used a second hand lock I had I put the rewg nbr of old car in the folder so if he needed a replacement ibnition key he had the details, how long have you owned the car before you realised the key did'nt work the locks??:confused: did'nt you think about calling the P/O and asking him about the problem??:eek::(

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I can tell you 100% yes, this is true. The key from my 84 will lock and unlock the glovebox in my 92 and vice versa.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, I purchased the car about 6 months ago and the PO said he had lost the door key which was not a deal breaker for me as I had some work to do on the car before I was going to put it on the road anyway. Maybe he changed the ignition lock and forgot to tell me? Sounds like the most obvious answer now since most are saying that almost any Saab key will work in the glovebox. I guess I will probably have to take the door handle off and bring it down to my local locksmith for him to make a key for. Where would the key code be for the door key?

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
the key code maybe on the barrel, and won't be available off the shelf at a key cutters/locksmith but all you need is the reg book with vin nbr and take it to a saab dealer, and they will order you one, or ask the lock smith to do the same for you if no dealer close..or phone one up

·
Registered
18 Posts
The PO answered your question then, there is only one key on a Saab. He had exchanged the ignition lock and then lost the original ignition key (which worked on all of the locks).

I would try to get a key cut before anything else, call a Saab place and see if they can pull a key code based on your VIN.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I called the Saab dealer and he was able to give me the key code from the vin. Then I brought that down to my local locksmith and voila, problem solved......and for only a $1.50! Cheapest Saab part I ever bought or will ever buy again!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts