SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just thinking and wonder why saabs are not more popular for tuners in the united states?? I was thinking about getting a 1.8t gti before i got my 9-3 but opted for the 9-3 becasue it was cheaper and a lot nicer inside. they are unique too. there are tons of tuned 1.8t VW's and audi's out there. the 2.0t t5 motor is a lot quicker stock and can be made super quick for about the same as the 1.8 motor. the 1.8 has gotten praise from the tuning croud, but im my opinion, our 2.0t motors are much better. a 9-3 or 900se can be found for a pretty reasonible price now, and i wonder why there are not more tuned saabs out there. i think a lot of kids/people thenk they are way too expensive. im 17 and i frequently get coments like "go have daddy buy you another one" or "daddys boy" or "take dads car home and get your own" they dont realize that they are dicently afforidible and can be made wicked quick.

i know this is a long post but i just had to vent to someone!!

ben

·
Registered
83 Posts
I say who cares? I bought my 900 SE because it was unique, I could have gotten a civic or a GTI as well but id rather not have a car that every other person has...

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
You're right on the money saab family. But I say, if they don't realize this, don't tell them! I really like how Saabs are unique in this way, so no need to tell a lot of people, you know?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I still don't get the whole Honda Civic thing. Never have. Must be my age, but... it's a friekin' Civic for cryin' out loud!

There's a '96 saab 900 SE convertible for sale right down the road from me for $6500. I pass a c900 on my way to the grocery store (in nice shape) for $800. I can think of two 9000's I've seen in the past couple days on people's lawns with for sale signs in them. The word needs to be spread about the ability to juice up Saabs! The more Saabs that get tricked out, the more likely it is there will be more parts of varying types (read: body parts, wheels, turbo kits) availalable to the Saab community as a whole for less money than what we're paying now and with greater availability. How cool would it be to get a Viggen body kit for what a honda modder pays to get a kit on his Civic?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was in my 9000 aero the other day and a talon with a rice can and a bunch of gages pulled up next to me and kept showing me what his BOV sounded like. then i showed him what my car had. at the next stop light he was like "what is that" i saids "just a big old saab" and he said "what turbo is in that" i said "tdo4" and he was like "off what?!?" i told him it came with it and all i had was exhaust. he couldnt belive it. it is fun suprising people but it would be nice if they were a little more know for tuning becasue of what blue 9-3 se sais, getting body kits for cheaper, more options on wheels, and just turning parts more afordible in general.

ben

·
Registered
243 Posts
Why Are Saab Not More Popular

I think one of the explanations for this would be people are uncertain about the quality SAAB represents due the the gatherings at the dealership. Here in Canada we have the 3 in 1 combo of Saturn, SAAB, Isuzu dealerships. This is like saying Hyundai, Mercedes, Kia dealerships. I have a neighbor who was at said dealership and they expected to pay less than $18,000.00 for a new 9-3. She was surprised at the price and believed that the SAAB was the high end KIA. Imagine.:nono;

·
Registered
761 Posts
Man I agree with stromer!

Our cars are unique.. even the new TV Ads from Saab = "State of Independance"

So ya, lets not turn them into Civic's, Instead lets keep dusting them! LOL

I had a few Saabs. a 84 900.
86 9000 Turbo with 16" BBS Wheels

and now I have a 94 NG900 Turbo B204L.

I dunno if I would buy a new 93 or 95.. Just too much GM. It makes me Sick!
They stole soo much of the technology and put into cars like Cobalt!
Yes the 94-98 range of Saabs are very affordable and I think i'm gonna start collecting them.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Shaft said:
I dunno if I would buy a new 93 or 95.. Just too much GM. It makes me Sick!
They stole soo much of the technology and put into cars like Cobalt!
Yes the 94-98 range of Saabs are very affordable and I think i'm gonna start collecting them.

Just my $.02
GM haters...:roll:

my 2002 9-3 SE ROCKS. yes, I said it. it ROCKS. it is basically the same as the GM 94-98 900 you talk about, only with TONS of improvments and even more power and more features. and better styling, too.

·
Registered
761 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
GM haters...:roll:

my 2002 9-3 SE ROCKS. yes, I said it. it ROCKS. it is basically the same as the GM 94-98 900 you talk about, only with TONS of improvments and even more power and more features. and better styling, too.
I'm glad u like your car. I do like it too.. I infact praise all Saabs in general. But to own one I have my preferances in which year/model to own. Thats just the way I am, and I'm sure there are more people than just me that share that opinion. I test drove the new 93 SS Aero and loved it. But still, I wasn;t going to shell out soo much for that car.

And yes, I am a GM hater... Honda Hater, Hyundai Hater.
I love all Euro's, I think they've had their screws on tight for quite some time now!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I like the point about bringing prices down. So alright, maybe tell a few more people about Saabs just to get the prices down a smidge.

Its hard to argue with any Saab up until the 9-3SS IMO. Despite the "1100" changes a 9-3 is surely a Saab. And the same for the 9-5. I too have no problem with the 9-3SS. Anybody who does has to give it some credit when they compare it to the 9-2x, right?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I say to all the GM hater...I really dont mind it. Yeah sure i think saab would be better off by being their own company again, but what can you do.

I would much rather have Saab be bought out by GM rather than Ford or Dodge...Dont like either of those two too much. Fix Or Repair Daily???

So all in all Saab being backed by GM isnt that bad, there is more money for R&D and things of that nature, getting us nicer, safer, more reliable, better performing cars...

thats just what i think though...pick through this post if you dont agree.

Nick

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I don't know, i don't want more people driving them, I like driving something more unique. Plus being that they are in low demand it makes purchasing a used one all the cheaper.

·
Registered
91 Posts
saab lover

Take it from an insane sabb lovin' freak tuner. GM has nothing in the Saabs except a few small electrical components.(buddy works for GM as a tech). Just think, when some 17 year old kid in hjis cobaltsc thinks he's special tell em what I just did today at the next stop light. Nice cavalier with the saab power! Man that got em a little hot. Of course, you might be mad too if two days prior you got smoked by the same guy in his 89 900t. Then you pull up to the same stop light 2 days later and get smoked by his 05 9-3 ss with the already custom pipes and exhaust.!

·
Registered
221 Posts
saabs are rare, but not like they use to be. now, since GM has taken over, they are doing what they do best: sale. i used only see a few of classic saabs, but then GM took over. now i've seen so many people buy a new saab. then people started to buy some of the older one not knowing a thing about it. more and more people are buying them, and they are getting cheaper, but the wrong people are buying them. over half the people i see driving saabs are the type of people who would never mod there cars, they just like the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
so this is my first post...

I think Civics and GTIs and etc are somewhat sponsored to be in those tuner magazines. Be it mfgs or aftermarket parts suppliers. And people who read these magazines are followers who can't think for themselves. They are easy to brainwash. So when they see these cars in the magazine, they will go get the same thing.

If Saab or any Saab aftermarket parts suppliers (I know there aren't any) sponsor their suped up cars in magazines, then these retards will buy Saabs to tune up.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I must say I have had alot of fun with my Saab for the last 3 years. I dont think i even knew what a Saab was 3 years ago! I had always put it in the hyundai suzuki kia category.

Whats up with the Saab resale value though, it seems like it has dropped quite a bit over the last couple years? People are getting 3 or 4 yr old saabs for cheap!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dasaabguy, i know!!! they are going for so cheap considering how much they were when they were new. where i live it think its the exact oppsit of what you guys are syaing with the catagory stuff. so where u guys are at they are sold with super cheap cars like kias?!?!? i live in colorado and saabs are pretty popular but not for aftermarket performance. people buy them becasue were at 5280ft and you need a turbo car to go fast. here they are sold with really nice cars. at the saab dealership in town, they sell saab, catilac, audi, range rovers, and always have a few exotics (ferraris, lamborginis, porsches). i think thats why people in my town think they are sooo much more than they really are. i bet it people knew how nice they are inside, how chep they are a few years old, and the performance possibilitys, they would be more popular.

ben

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
dasaabguy said:
Whats up with the Saab resale value though, it seems like it has dropped quite a bit over the last couple years? People are getting 3 or 4 yr old saabs for cheap!
They seem popular enough in my area (SE Wisconsin). The resale value is lower than other cars because it has to reflect the maintenance costs, which is only fair.

Most people who buy a used car every few years are aware of what tends to fail, and know how to look up cars and repair costs. At the same time, people who tend to buy new cars will not keep one that needs a lot of work when the lease or the warranty expires.

Also, GM lots are full of lease returns... good time to buy one, because private owners are usually willing to part with them for much less than the dealer sticker on a 3-4 year old car, often about half the dealer asking price for the same mileage. I am considering doing just that, and give my '96 a well-deserved retirement as a second car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts