SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought you could post a poll as in most forums but couldn't find that feature here. Although it hints it can be done I guess I am just clueless today!
Question is....what draws you to an Aero vs. base model?

1. The interior/seats?
2. The exterior/ body skirts?
3. The sportier suspension?
4. The 2.8L vs. I4 (2006-2009) before and after that all I4
5. Other?

The reason I ask is that in the used car market there is often a few thousand $ difference for same year and mileage of Aero vs. non-Aero.
I have a 2004 Aero I4 and love it but am looking for a late model, low mileage SC and price is a factor. 2008 Aero SC with 40,000 miles is about $17,500 while 2010 non-Aero with 23,000 miles is basically the same price.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would choose the Aero every time ;ol; apart from the extras, there is a certain feeling you get when you drive an Aero that you cant get from the base models :D

·
Registered
675 Posts
Have my second aero now, definitely the looks.

·
Registered
486 Posts
1. The interior/seats?
2. The exterior/ body skirts?
3. The sportier suspension?
4. The 2.8L vs. I4 (2006-2009) before and after that all I4
5. Other?
Engine is more year specific, but all of the above. Plus all of the creature comforts like memory seating, garage door opener & compass & autodimming mirror, reverse sensors, parking mirror, steering wheel button shifters, premium sound system... all of which my 05' Aero has but my dad's 07' 2.0T 60th anniversary edition doesn't have.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If someone had asked me the same questions I asked you I probably would agree with you. But emotions aside

2008 Aero SC with 40,000 miles is about $17,500 while 2010 non-Aero
with 23,000 miles is basically the same price.

60,000 mile warranty left on the higher mileage older 2008 Aero with V6, 27,000mile warranty on the 2010 with lower mileage and I4.
For your money, older with more miles or newer with fewer miles?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have both but they are both 06's so slightly different than the newer ones. the seats in the aero are a HUGE bonus. My 2.0T SC has the HIDs but it is a "premium package" so it has the better stereo, express windows, fogs etc. Too me the headlights and seats are biggest difference. The gas mileage is better on the 2.0 and it rides better than the aero. The aero does look a bit sportier, but not so much on the newer body style. The 6 cyl is a smooth motor. Drive both and make your pick. I think I prefer the aero, mainly because of the seats, but both are great cars. I will say I got my SC prior to buying the aero and I do often wish I got an aero SC instead at times, but I couldnt justify spending more at the pump and 3k more for a car because it was an aero. Tough decision for sure. Gordo

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
For your money, older with more miles or newer with fewer miles?
I apply the same logic to both cars and women ;ol;. In markets such as Australia we still had 3 choices - Linear, Vector, Aero. Only the Aero was a V6 from 2006. The Linear/Vector are both I4 but the Vector is tarted up with a lot of Aero extras. I love my Vector, especially the practicalities of a more forgiving suspension and higher front lip height. My 2005 Aero was disaster with that low front spoiler. Way too low for everyday use.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Its the whole package for me, but the seats stand out the most. It's not going to be easy to find as comfortable seats when it comes time to replace to the Saabs. Volvos are the only ones that have came close to seat comfort that I have seen.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Its the whole package for me, but the seats stand out the most. It's not going to be easy to find as comfortable seats when it comes time to replace to the Saabs. Volvos are the only ones that have came close to seat comfort that I have seen.
BMW 7 series are the most comfortable seats Ive ever sat in....they were amazing!!!!!! and i agree about Volvo, they have nice seats too.

im disappointed in the seats of the 93. both 93 and Aero. comfy, not very supportive, and made of cheap leather skinned from rats....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well after owning a Vectra C 3.2 GSi I wanted something similar in performance but with better economy! At first I fancied a 9-3 Aero HOT coupe but couldn't find a decent enough manual. The 2.0T Aero ss was my 2nd choice and its performance takes a few people by surprise!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im disappointed in the seats of the 93. both 93 and Aero. comfy, not very supportive, and made of cheap leather skinned from rats....

Don't know about BMW 7 series (cost more than many houses). Volvo's are sooooooooooo boring.

SAAB seats cheap? My Aero seats are flawless after 8 years and 110K miles. And a good seating position for someone 6'4". And I equate comfort with supportive. A seat could not be "comfy, not very supportive" in my book

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For the absolute LIFE of me i cannot find a comfortable seating position in mine, it's driving me crazy.
I don't know if you are tall, medium or short but one mistake I often see is med/tall drivers tilt their seatback too far back and then the wheel position is uncomfortable. I go with seat all the way rearward, seatback more vertical than most and wheellower, not up. Or this may be something you already tried.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have spent a bit of money trying (and succeeding in most aspects) making my 06 2.0T an aero lol but I still don't have the seats or the V6. It is nice having spent about 5k less in 08 for a 2.0 vs 2.8, but now that the prices have dropped I really do wish I had the v6. It all depends on your interests, if you just want a peppy car with a nice interior and luxury aspects, then the 2.0T is fine. But if you want a sportier ride and (at least for the sub 08 models) a sportier look, then the few grand you spend out of the gate for the aero will be money well spent down the road. All in all, I'm happy with my car, but if I'd put the same money into an aero I'd be passed the 300whp mark and have seats that actually hold me in place in the twisties.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The seats in my Aero are probable the most comfortable seats I've had in any car! As for seat position it all down to the driver. I prefer the seat closer with a good recline where an old boss of mine who was shorter preferred the seat way back! I couldn't reach the pedals and I was a good 4 inches taller than him.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I don't know if you are tall, medium or short but one mistake I often see is med/tall drivers tilt their seatback too far back and then the wheel position is uncomfortable. I go with seat all the way rearward, seatback more vertical than most and wheellower, not up. Or this may be something you already tried.
Interesting the different comments here about the Saab seats. I used to do a regular 9 hour drive which equates to about 700 kms here in Australia with stops. My previous car gave me massive backaches. Now on my third 9-3 and all have given me pain free driving on the same trip. Bloody long day behind the wheel and the great seats in the Saab make a bit less stressful ;ol;.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The seat comments (I believe) are mainly based on two characteristics: 1) Memory seats, which I had in my 99 9-3 SE, which is really nice because who wants to rely on your own memory to reset the seats back to ideal after your wife pulls your car all of 20 ft up the driveway...
2) The bolsters/support of the aero seats, which is much more pronounced than the 2.0T seats. Especially after 100k+ miles, my 2.0T seats are feeling flat and certainly don't hold me in place like I'd like. But sitting for long drives the base seats are just fine, comfortable as I need them to be with support in all the right places.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Same boat as the OP. Trying to find a 2010 Aero for $18,500 or less with less than 30,000 miles. Found one but they sold it before I could make it there to buy it ($17,700). Found another that's 500 miles away, but they wont budge from $20,000.

I want the seats, hid headlights, memory seats, homelink, exterior and the 2.0 turbo.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts