SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..and what did you use? I have a bent wheel and bought an eBay replacement used. It's perfectly round but has a bit of curb rash that I wanted to at least repaint....

·
Registered
516 Posts
check out stx221's wheels

thread here

Thinking about doing the same to the 04 Aero 5-spoke wheels I got with a little curb rash.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! But I need a little more how-to. I know there has to be someone who's just touched up one wheel. Where to get the factory paint???

·
Registered
516 Posts
You're right, there have been people who have touched up just one wheel. Quick google search brought up this. http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/wheel-repair/wheel-scuff-repair.htm
It seems simple enough, and the results look quite good. I feel like it would be easier to remove the wheel completely and paint elsewhere, than to mask the whole car like hat guy did. [shrug].

Sorry, don't know about the factory paint. Good luck; let us know if you find out.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah but I wonder if that guy had three kids under 5 and a doctor for a wife?:cheesy:

So you see, my time is, um, limited.:(;) I know someone on here is bound to have done this. Maybe 9-5s are too new for many to have bothered. Perhaps I should check in the 900/9-3 forum?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Looks about right...

I think I remember someone referencing that bmw DIY before. It seems like that would be the correct process. I also think that is where I heard that the wheel paint is the same - or someone said that Saab and BMW use the same paint

Maybe you can slap on your donut and take care of the wheel out of reach from the children's over a couple of nights and spray the wheel during the day when it is warm enough. (will it get warm enought to spray in January down there?)

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, the wheel is a spare replacement I am putting on. I wouldn't have any problem taking it off (since it's not on) and even taking it to someone but I just want to make sure that it's well-done and matches the other wheels.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Well, I will put my couple thoughts in here since someone brought my wheels up.

By no means is the paint I used a factory color.
But the process was simple, and if it was just one stock wheel and i could get the same color, I would have done it slightly differently.

Process:
1. Dismount tire (not 100% necessary, though it makes things much easier).
2. Sandblast the old paint off (if i were just finishing one wheel, i would just scuff with like a 400 grit sandpaper).
3. Lay down some primer.
4. Paint.
5. Clearcoat (although with stock wheels, i am not sure if this is needed.)

You might try calling EEuroparts on this product:
http://eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=6596
And see if they think it will match your wheels.

Worst case, if you had to prep and paint all 4 wheels so they matched, I am sure that you could do it all in a Saturday, and then just let them dry for a day or so. It sounds like you are very concerned with them all matching 100%, so this sounds like it is probably your best bet.

You could also paint one at a time if that would make it easier (since it sounds like you have a 5th wheel to run on there for a couple hours while you paint) and you could paint one and then paint the next one 3 days later.
Or maybe it is just time for a wheel upgrade ;)

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got a replacement, it's just got a little curb rash. But you know, after I pressure washed it up along with some Meguiers wheel cleaner, it looks new from more than five feet away. I wonder if I got it off anyone on here? Someone selling 4 on fleabay in Mass? It's the old ten spoke stock 9-5 base wheel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wanted to replace one of my wheels due to some scraping from curb rash but not sure if its a 16" or 16 1/2" rim...how do you tell the size for appropriate wheel size. The tire says R16. So is it a 16" rim?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts