SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 2001 Saab 9-5 SE V6. On acceleration there's a "whoosh" like sound when the car is over ~2,000 rpm. The harder you press on the gas pedal (such as entering a highway) the louder it is. It's almost like its air escaping at high speed.

This noise doesn't sound mechanical. Comes from under the hood. It doesn't do it when in park. I think it's turbo related since it seems to occur when the turbo is engaged / yellow zone on gauge. I pushed it really hard on one highway entrance and the noise was almost... flappy, like paper flapping.

Doesn't affect performance or have any other symtoms. It's intermittent. Yesterday it didn't do it all day until later in the day. Recently had the radiator and coolant/heater bypass valve replaced.

Any ideas?

I checked all turbo hoses and they seem to be connected well. Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Make that more of a humming sound. Sorry.

I searched a lot of treads and one or two suggested it might be the turbo dump/bypass valve. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Make that more of a humming sound. Sorry.

I searched a lot of treads and one or two suggested it might be the turbo dump/bypass valve. Does that sound about right?
When the bypass starts to fail its more of a hooting sound. But everyone hears it differently and when mine went it was more of a constant fluttering sound. But we also have two different engines so not sure what it sounds like coming from the V6

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
the best way to describe a bypass valve going is like a burp or fart. brrrrp....

Check the vacuum hoses to the bypass, they may have failed or fallen off, that will cause the same result. The bypass burps right when you are going from vacuum in the intake to pressure in the intake. then stops. (if you have a year that has a turbo boost gauge you can easily see this, but like you said when you stand on it, you;ll see a lot of boost)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just a suggestion, check your motor mounts. I had a growling / humming sound when you pressed the gas up to about 2100 rpms. turned out that 3 out of 4 mounts were shot. worth a shot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts