SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE WORLD OF RACING
EXTREME SAAB 9-3 AERO SPORT SEDAN TO DEBUT IN EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP ....
A potent, 550 bhp Saab 9-3 Aero Sport Sedan will be unleashed by Swedish rallycross champion Per Eklund in his pursuit of the 2005 European Rallycross Championship. The extreme, all-wheel-drive Aero, which can accelerate to 100 kph faster than a Formula One car, has been developed in co-operation with Saab Automobile and is sponsored by Clarion and Shell. It is the first rallycross application for the 9-3 Aero Sport Sedan and replaces Eklund's previous 9-3 hatchback model, in which he won the 2000 European championship and last year's Swedish series.

The Sport Sedan bodyshape provides improved aerodynamics, with less drag resistance and lower high-speed lift forces. The car's revised suspension geometry, allowing wider front and rear tracks, and its longer wheelbase are also expected to give better handling and stability. Using carbon fiber and other lightweight materials, Eklund's team have also been able for the first time to meet the European championship's minimum weight requirement, 1200 kilos this year, putting their car on an equal footing with competitors using WRC-based cars. The Saab 2-0-liter engine, developed by local engine tuner Trollspeed, punches out a remarkable 550 bhp and 750 Nm peak torque, despite the presence of a mandatory 45mm air restrictor. The all-wheel-drive transmission gives even more impressive traction, catapulting the car to 100 kph from a standing start in just 2.2 seconds, about a second faster than a current Formula One car.

I want to know who does the tuning on this baby. No only if GM had made the 2003 model AWD.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
puckalicious said:
That is sick. Any chance of an aftermarket AWD system and 550hp mods?
AWD is heavily rumored (some would say confirmed) for the new platform due in 2008 ... Maptun has built several 2.3T engines to 500+ hp ... maybe in a few years, if the V6T is tunable & durable (or engine swap?) and the AWD comes out, we can get something close without the cost of it alllll being custom

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
M4Gunner said:
dont hold your breath. the cars been out for 3 damn years now, and we still dont even have a short shifter!
well .. if you had a 5 speed slushbox, you wouldn't have to worry about that, now would you :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
M4Gunner said:
thats what i have, but id like it shorter
slushbox(n.) an automatic transmission capable of sucking all of the life and fun out of low gear shifts, such as the 1-2 shift, and the 2-3 shift, by making it feel like your transmission is routed through gelatin.

Were you thinking of a shift reprogramming kit, or "shift kit" for the automatics?

·
Banned
975 Posts
I've been looking everywhere trying to find videos of this car launching on that 0-60 and hopefully some footage of per eklund with his mad skills in it. I haven't had much luck, just some short like 5 second video.

Anyone have any good links?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
When and where can we see this thing in action?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Raven18940 said:
When and where can we see this thing in action?
If you are not in Europe then you won't....;)

As I write Per is hopefully in the finals of the 2nd round of the European Rallycross Championship at Lousada in Portugal.
(Edited as I've just seen the results and Per came a lowly 7th...:cry: )

The rest of the championship is as follows:-

June 04-05 PS Racing Center, Greinbach, Austria
June 11-12 Autodrom Sosnová, Sosnová, Czech Republic
June 25-26 Momarken Bilbane, Momarken, Norway
July 02-03 Höljesbanan, Höljes, Sweden
August 13-14 Duivelsbergcircuit, Maasmechelen, Belgium
August 20-21 Eurocircuit Valkenswaard, Netherlands
September 24-25 Tor Słomczyn, Słomczyn, Poland
October 01-02 Estering, Buxtehude, Germany

I would guess that Per will probably also compete in a number of rounds of his own Swedish Rallycross Championship.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
wow, that's incredible. so you mean this SS is essentially THE fastest car in the world (besides dragsters)? there aren't any production cars that can match that, including ferrari, lamborgini, or even the mclaren f1. at first i was thinking...that's a little too race car looking for me with all the stickers, etc. for me to drive everyday, but hell yeah, i'd pimp that if those numbers are right.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Cojoroh said:
so you mean this SS is essentially THE fastest car in the world
Unfortunately not, Kenny's Citroen is much quicker.;)

Cojoroh said:
there aren't any production cars that can match that, including ferrari, lamborgini, or even the mclaren f1.
That's the case for most purpose built race cars.....:roll:

Cojoroh said:
that's a little too race car looking for me with all the stickers, etc. for me to drive everyday, but hell yeah, i'd pimp that if those numbers are right.
That's because it IS A RACECAR......:roll:
All those stickers from his sponsors go someway to offsetting the cost of designing, building and running the thing, which is probably equivilent of buying a couple of McLaren F1's......;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Having a good look at Pers cars.. you can't get much further from a standard 93 than that! its like world superbikes.. based on standard bikes.. like the good old ducati 916, but Carl Fogys bike was at lease 10 times to build.. let alone maintain..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts