1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, I was the first to vote! Do I get some type of medal, award, McDonald's voucher........
Yeah sure, Nije. Go stick your head into your post box and wait ...... it's comin' ;);)

·
Registered
380 Posts
What plugs (and gap) are you using ?
im using the recommended plugs by JZW and the correct gap, I know this because I went to Johns house for my tune, and he sent me to East of Sweden right after being tuned to get this done(long drive from Denver to Phx!) I have NO bucking of any kind but I do ping under WOT. The octane readily available out here in AZ is only 91, when I put in 95, no pinging...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Highest endorsement to VTuner (Vermont Tuning aka Brian Blair). I've never heard of anyone who wasn't impressed by his knowledge, competence (trained progammer) and care. Wasn't he the first outside Swedes [BSR/Maptun -- great respect for Maptun too, having visited with them-- and if nearby an obvious choice] and Hirsch -- exceptionally [too?] conservative-- to unlock map for our V6 engine? Certainly of the American tuners.

Hand held device is plus (capable of storing multiple octane tunes + stock + 'valet mode' --though I'd never let one of Those close! -- and diagnostics...coils to check...make sure plugs closely gapped vs. stock).

Also: I chose to drive 8 hours to The Tuner Himself for my upper stage (in his parlance 1 and 2; stage 0 is easily and unproblematically applied remotely) which is only way I'd have it. A No Brainer for anybody in vicinity.

My choice: VTuner Stage 2 (with the bigger injectors) + 3 inch DP (cat-less if you can get away with). Everything else frosting (CAI, intercooler--though I'm sold on the benefits of water-meth, properly installed, from a reliability POV) . XWD cars Sing at Stage 2 (IMHO: Torque steer on FWD makes anything beyond VTune Stage 0 [320 HP; 400 lbs torque] a handful!).

There might be others a few bucks cheaper (hardly better value); but I Love my car and not looking for Bargain Basement.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Everything else frosting (CAI, intercooler--though I'm sold on the benefits of water-meth, properly installed, from a reliability POV)
NTP, interested in some images of your water/meth instal. Agree about the reliability enhancement with this mod if installed properly.

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/VermontTuning/photos/pcb.729517613779726/729516857113135/?type=1&theater

Some pics/comments on Vermont Tuning FB page, Nigel, including:

"The X now pulls smoothly all the way to redline with over 39 lb/min airflow thanks to the upgraded Stage 2 turbo and and running 21+ degrees peak advance with no knock thanks to the methanol/water injection."
Thanks. Very interesting. Your car is always a visual shock to me with all those stickers, make me feel good about my prancing moose ones haha.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Who has the Hirsch tuned car?

The only cars I'm aware of in the east were "a few" that were done by Reinertsen Saab at the Saab Owners Convention up in the Parsippany/Troy area of New Jersey a few years ago. I also spoke with the other (local), authorized dealer who got it before Saab folded and it was never used. Just curious as to who the mystery Hirsch owner is out there?

There are a few on this list who aren't advertising tunes for 2.8 engines, just to note that.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Interesting it's just about all Vtuner and JZW. The original euro tunes are "has beens". No reason to use a "generic" tune that is more expensive and poor customer service.
So glad these guys are around. I had BSR on my '06 and wouldn't recommend them at all because of horrendous customer service. They were the only tuner back in '07-08.

Tunnan good point as to who the Hirsh person is. Why did they go that route I wonder?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Went BSR on my 05 Aero and 06 Sportscombi. That was back in 2009. Was pretty happy with the tunes. Now have both my TX and Vector tuned by JZW. As with most things, people tend to stay with what they know, especially if they are satisfied.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts