SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ran a red DIC for 5 years before it died. Saab indie put in a brand new black one (9-5) and insists it'll work on my car. It did. Until two weeks ago, when serendipitously at our club meet a member brought two used red ones, and I tried on one to see if it works (so I can buy it as spare). Wow what an improvement the red one made.

Idle is quieter. Power delivery is smoooother, esp. at the bottom end, and fuel mileage improved.

So the question is, do any 9000ers use the black DIC ? I forget the distinction between the two, something about the red one has a shorter spark cycle and is DC.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The Black DI is designed for T7 your 9000 has T5. The knock detection is different between the two.

Turbo 9000's really shouldn't use the Black DI....You could get away with using one in a NA 9000.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I thought the black one had ac current but the red one was dc current.

there is a detailed thread or post on this somewhere on here.

I read it a while ago.

/r

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Like most , I can only write from personal experience.
I have no wish to dispute any info in the links or argue any points written by experienced Saab engineers.

I have however, ran my 1993 2.3 FPT (Trionic) on a black top for the last 6mth or so. Initially put in just to test its operation , it ended up staying there.
I cannot say I have noticed any measurable difference, good or bad.
So, in my experience I would say the black top works fine in place of a red top.
That is not to say however that there isn't any underlying problem burning away unseen that will shorten the life of any components :)

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You wouldn't be the first to disagree or debate, if you wanted to!

I believe Norman Lovie has had a black DI in his car for a while too.
Many say only use a black one for a short time until you can get a red one.

As for me, I am about to buy a new red one soon, then I will two/(three) spares.

two of the spares have some issues, one does not work well under load, the other has some kind of miss.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Another question though

I had a 96 NG900s non turbo.
It had a distributor and a black cassette. I don't think I ever took it off.
What kind of cassette and ignition system is that. Certainly AFAIK not a DI.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a 96 NG900s non turbo.
It had a distributor and a black cassette. I don't think I ever took it off.
What kind of cassette and ignition system is that. Certainly AFAIK not a DI.
A DIC co-exists with a distributor ?!? That's strange. You sure it's a cassette (ie: removable) and not just a cover ? One of our club members has a '95 NG900 NA and the top of the engine block has a black DIC-like cover (no bolts), and it has a real distributor.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Aha - you may well be right.

It must just be a cover, not a DI. Makes sense.

As I said - I never had it off. I was asking because my daughter has it now and I was wondering I I needed to source any special parts for her to have in the case of breakdown.

Thank you for putting me right.
/R

1 - 10 of 10 Posts