SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 60 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I really like your car, so don't get me the wrong way, but I still believe aftermarket HIDs are waste of money on glare and nothing else. For much less money you can get yourself a million candlepower spotlight and shine it at other driver's eyes for the same effect.

It's very well explained below
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
but somehow, I have a feeling you've read that already ;)

Every time I even consider the possibility, within next 3-4 hours I pass some, ehmm, "individual" who decided to put HIDs in his 1995 Ford "Exploder" and thinks that blinding everyone is a good idea. That usually cures me for a while.

I'm not trying to be offensive, so don't get me wrong, I just think it's very unsafe and, to be honest, annoying to see on the road. There are so many great upgrades one can do to a 9-5, especially Aero like yours! Aftermarket HIDs is just not one of them...
I hear you. Really, I do. I made sure to aim them down quite a bit, and drove around with them for about a week when I first put them in in April. I only got two people to flash their highbeams at me and both of those occurred when I was cresting a hill and they were coming up toward me. I get flashed with my regular halogens in situations like that anyway. I am not some *** that doesn't give a damn about other drivers, so if I start getting a lot of complaints from oncoming traffic the Xenons will be coming out. Promise. I am not expecting this kit to last very long anyway, and when it craps out I'm going to try the Osram Silverstars. The heat grid on my rear window is flaking off which messed up the ground for my FM antenna, and the Xenons seem to like to add some extra static when they're on so there's a strike against them already.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just done the mod as outlined by 'liketosaab' on page 1, Excellent, works like a dream.
I'm so pleased that I didn't just junk the kit when they started strobing, Many thanks to whoever discovered what was causing the problem.
VVME, who I bought the kit from, had no idea what was causing the problem.
Lucky that we have this great knowledge resource available.
Thanks again 'liketosaab', you saved my HIDs.

Colin

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Hi Guys

What happens if you take out the relay you put the insulation tape on.

If you need the relay in, I would consider breaking the tab off, and getting another replacement relay for the time when I wanted to return the light system to normal.

By the way putting the tape on is a much better idea than clipping the wire. Saves hassles later.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
This thread is an excellent resource. It should be stickied.

I wonder if this is the same relay location on the '01 since the relay box looks different.

Do you think this HID conversion would be okay in the '01 since it's a glass lens? I'm planning on getting 35w 4300K bulbs.

·
Registered
463 Posts
This thread is an excellent resource. It should be stickied.

I wonder if this is the same relay location on the '01 since the relay box looks different.

Do you think this HID conversion would be okay in the '01 since it's a glass lens? I'm planning on getting 35w 4300K bulbs.
Sorry not trying to be rude but hurry up and get them already. The beam pattern is the same as before, honestly. I think its down to the fact the bulbs are located quite deep in the headlight housing, and there's that metal ring that goes round the bulbs; that stops the 9-5s from having a scattered beam with HIDs. I have in an '01 and they work perfectly. I've been flashed once ever since i installed them almost a year ago, and that was when i had my dipped beams pointed in the second highest setting cos i was driving in the countryside late at night.

Get them. Enjoy them. Relay is dead easy to find as well by the way. :)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Sorry not trying to be rude but hurry up and get them already.
Nah, not rude, I'm definitely getting them tomorrow. I just bought the car Monday, and don't have it yet. Wont be in my possession for a few weeks. Some titling transfer BS. :( But I'm anxious to see what they look like!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Nah, not rude, I'm definitely getting them tomorrow. I just bought the car Monday, and don't have it yet. Wont be in my possession for a few weeks. Some titling transfer BS. :( But I'm anxious to see what they look like!
Why did you get another 9-5?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Why did you get another 9-5?
Because It was SUPER cheap, in amazing condition, has a clean carfax with tons of dealer service records, has all the service receipts ever done to it, still smells like leather, a one owner man in his 70's, and the Volvo is getting OLD. ...And really cause I couldn't help myself. But that's exactly what my family said when I told them, WHY do you need another car when you can only drive one at a time?!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Because It was SUPER cheap, in amazing condition, has a clean carfax with tons of dealer service records, has all the service receipts ever done to it, still smells like leather, a one owner man in his 70's, and the Volvo is getting OLD. ...And really cause I couldn't help myself. But that's exactly what my family said when I told them, WHY do you need another car when you can only drive one at a time?!
Nice. And yes, the 2001's have a very nice leather smell to them. It never went away. My 2004 is more or less odorless. And most 1999-2000's I've sat in smell like nasty crayons.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Nice. And yes, the 2001's have a very nice leather smell to them. It never went away. My 2004 is more or less odorless. And most 1999-2000's I've sat in smell like nasty crayons.

LOL!!!! I went looking for Aero's a few weeks ago, just for fun and to do a comparison to my car. My sister and I found an '00 Aero with 98K which had the ventilated leather seats. As soon as my sister got into the car she made a disgusted face and said, it smells like crayons in here, and not in a good way! The car stank like a Crayola crayon factory. We then test drove it, and it just wasn't what I was expecting. The car wasn't taken care of at all.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
LOL!!!! I went looking for Aero's a few weeks ago, just for fun and to do a comparison to my car. My sister and I found an '00 Aero with 98K which had the ventilated leather seats. As soon as my sister got into the car she made a disgusted face and said, it smells like crayons in here, and not in a good way! The car stank like a Crayola crayon factory. We then test drove it, and it just wasn't what I was expecting. The car wasn't taken care of at all.
I don't think anyone has quite pinpointed what the cause of the crayon smell is. My theory is it's an adhesive they used in the carpets. I don't think it was the leather.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
A lot of VW's and Audis of the same years have that crayon smell too. For them it's the sound deadener they used. So maybe it's the same supplier. That '00 Aero didn't have sport seats. That was one thing I was shocked at, more than the condition of the car. :eek:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
A lot of VW's and Audis of the same years have that crayon smell too. For them it's the sound deadener they used. So maybe it's the same supplier. That '00 Aero didn't have sport seats. That was one thing I was shocked at, more than the condition of the car. :eek:
Aero's didn't come with sport seats until the 2002 facelift.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got an 03 9-5 aero with HID's (factory I believe) anyone now which bulbs I need to buy? I know they are expensive, just don't know which one to get.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
One lamp will be brighter than the other, and have a different color temperature. It's not a big deal. One of my bulbs is newer than the other and I can't tell the difference on the road, but when I park in the garage against the white wall, one bulb is brighter and whiter than the other.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
One lamp will be brighter than the other, and have a different color temperature. It's not a big deal. One of my bulbs is newer than the other and I can't tell the difference on the road, but when I park in the garage against the white wall, one bulb is brighter and whiter than the other.
Right. As Xenon bulbs get old they turn different color and put out less light.

·
Registered
240 Posts
big thanks ,have just had hid fitted.flickering lights as well,taped up as shown ,working great now ,thanks to all who contributed in solving problem.auto elec so impressed with them fitting some to his own car .gotta love saab central...:lol:

41 - 60 of 159 Posts