SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
What would it cost to add these to my 2004? The headlights on all my 9-5's leave a lot to be desired.
FYI...I have halogens on my 03 Aero and replaced with Osram Silverstars (NOT Sylvania or Philips Silverstars) and I'm honestly happier with the results than the HIDs myself. But that's me...

There's some other great options for bulbs out there. Check out this page: http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=44

The Osram 65w Hypers are great as well. The Silverstars lasted me over 5 years and I now have these all around (the 65w Hypers that is). They light up the road something fierce and MUCH brighter than the stock bulbs. Just something to think about as an options instead of trying the conversion.:)

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
FYI...I have halogens on my 03 Aero and replaced with Osram Silverstars (NOT Sylvania or Philips Silverstars) and I'm honestly happier with the results than the HIDs myself. But that's me...

There's some other great options for bulbs out there. Check out this page: http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=44

The Osram 65w Hypers are great as well. The Silverstars lasted me over 5 years and I now have these all around (the 65w Hypers that is). They light up the road something fierce and MUCH brighter than the stock bulbs. Just something to think about as an options instead of trying the conversion.:)
Thanks. I bought a cheap kit just to experiment a bit and if/when it craps out I will for surely keep that link in mind. The halogen headlights on my 2001 9-5 with the glass lenses was SO MUCH better than the halogens on my 2004. Even with the Xenons the beam isn't incredible. I did mine mostly for the look, haha. I used to get highbeamed by oncoming traffic in my '01 with Walmart (crap) Silverstars and they were aimed just fine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got a question about the difference in the types of kits there are. What is the difference between the Standard H-7 HID Conversion Kit, Digital Slim H-7 HID Conversion Kit, 50/55W H-7 HID Conversion Kit, and the 24V H-7 HID Conversion Kit? Also what would be recommended for a 98 9-5 and how would I be able to adjust the level of the light? I want better lighting. Someone please help.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry about the response time, but you are correct (obviously) I have had alot going on(moving, new job, headgasket on car blown) but anyway enjoy!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
so what did this do again? make it so your HID lights dont flicker if you have DRL disabled?
Right. When the Xenons were shut off via the switch on the dash they flickered instead of turning off because the system sends a small voltage to the (halogen) bulbs to make sure the filaments are intact. The tape on the 87a pin of the relay blocks that voltage.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Right. When the Xenons were shut off via the switch on the dash they flickered instead of turning off because the system sends a small voltage to the (halogen) bulbs to make sure the filaments are intact. The tape on the 87a pin of the relay blocks that voltage.
ohhhh gotchaa. good stuff. too bad i love the DRL! haha HIDS look so badass in daytime.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
ohhhh gotchaa. good stuff. too bad i love the DRL! haha HIDS look so badass in daytime.
If you pull the DRL fuse you can still keep them on during the day. I just like to have the option to keep the car running and shut my lights off if I'm waiting in a parking lot at night or something. Because that happens all the time... naht. Haha.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
If you pull the DRL fuse you can still keep them on during the day. I just like to have the option to keep the car running and shut my lights off if I'm waiting in a parking lot at night or something. Because that happens all the time... naht. Haha.

oh damn can you really? **** im doing this then. im actually out and about at night alot doing stuff and would love to be able to turn off my bright *** lights and not draw attention to myself while waiting for people or whatever to meet me.

so if i pull the fuse then take this 87a socket out and put tape over it then wala! i have the option to either turn my lights on or off correct? sorry im alittle slow tonight haha rough day.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
oh damn can you really? **** im doing this then. im actually out and about at night alot doing stuff and would love to be able to turn off my bright *** lights and not draw attention to myself while waiting for people or whatever to meet me.

so if i pull the fuse then take this 87a socket out and put tape over it then wala! i have the option to either turn my lights on or off correct? sorry im alittle slow tonight haha rough day.
Ohmygoodness. You really thought you couldn't have them on during the day with the DRL's disabled?

With the DRL fuse in place the light switch on the dash becomes useless. The lights are ALWAYS on no matter what. With the fuse pulled you can then use the switch to shut them off in the left-most position. In the right-most position they're on. Depending on how your car is setup the middle position will either just have the parking lights lit or be the same as the right-most position. This can be changed with Tech-II though. So yes, if you pull your DRL fuse you can drive around all you want during the day with your Xenons on, but you get the ability to shut them off whenever. There is no light sensor that shuts the lights off during the day, the system is purely switch-controlled. Removing the DRL fuse is no-brainer if you ask me. See if yours flicker if you remove the fuse and shut your lights off with the switch. If they do, just cover up that pin on the low beam relay and you should be all set! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Ohmygoodness. You really thought you couldn't have them on during the day with the DRL's disabled?

With the DRL fuse in place the light switch on the dash becomes useless. The lights are ALWAYS on no matter what. With the fuse pulled you can then use the switch to shut them off in the left-most position. In the right-most position they're on. Depending on how your car is setup the middle position will either just have the parking lights lit or be the same as the right-most position. This can be changed with Tech-II though. So yes, if you pull your DRL fuse you can drive around all you want during the day with your Xenons on, but you get the ability to shut them off whenever. There is no light sensor that shuts the lights off during the day, the system is purely switch-controlled. Removing the DRL fuse is no-brainer if you ask me. See if yours flicker if you remove the fuse and shut your lights off with the switch. If they do, just cover up that pin on the low beam relay and you should be all set! Good luck!
haha yeah i really thought that.:lol: WOOPS! awesome! im gonna totally do this once i get my car back from the bodyshop. some dousche hit me last week n im getting a whole new side fender!:roll: jerks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
What kit on Ebay was it? For $60 that's a deal. I have an '05 9-5 Arc with the halogens. They aren't bad but, they have those cheap plastic lenses. I used some Plastix by Meguiar's to keep them from oxidizing.

Do you have a link to the kit you got? Or something that almost identical? (I.E. same vendor model etc.) Thanks.

Best Regards,

R.T.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I got mine from a seller called "supervtec." Sounds awfully ghetto but everything went smoothly and I had no complaints. The kit I got was similar to (if not that same as) item #280313742674. Follow the instructions carefully, I think I had to message him after buying the kit with my car type, and what color I wanted. Make sure you specify H7 bulbs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What color did you get? What do people with aftermarket HIDs typically get? I don't want purple. I really would want a bright white if anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
What color did you get? What do people with aftermarket HIDs typically get? I don't want purple. I really would want a bright white if anything. Thanks.
I got 5000k. I am not into the tuner look with the blue/purple garbage. It's just begging to get you pulled over. Here's what 5000k looks like:

·
Registered
740 Posts
I really like your car, so don't get me the wrong way, but I still believe aftermarket HIDs are waste of money on glare and nothing else. For much less money you can get yourself a million candlepower spotlight and shine it at other driver's eyes for the same effect.

It's very well explained below
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
but somehow, I have a feeling you've read that already ;)

Every time I even consider the possibility, within next 3-4 hours I pass some, ehmm, "individual" who decided to put HIDs in his 1995 Ford "Exploder" and thinks that blinding everyone is a good idea. That usually cures me for a while.

I'm not trying to be offensive, so don't get me wrong, I just think it's very unsafe and, to be honest, annoying to see on the road. There are so many great upgrades one can do to a 9-5, especially Aero like yours! Aftermarket HIDs is just not one of them...

21 - 40 of 159 Posts