SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your 9-5 came with HALOGEN headlights and you bought an HID kit to upgrade to Xenons, do tell! I bought a kit on eBay in March/April and put it in my '04 9-5. The Xenons worked great but I couldn't turn them off via the switch in my car. If I turn them off via the switch they start strobing until I put the switch back to the ON position. I DO have my DRL's disabled, and with halogen bulbs in the lights I do not get this effect. If I shut the car off via the ignition the Xenons turn off fine, so there's no problem with the ballasts not discharging or whatever. I couldn't live without being able to turn them off so I removed them. I want to put them back in though!

So, I want to know if anyone else has had this problem. I remember we discussed this a while back and some people had the problem and some didn't. I REALLY want to get to the bottom of this; why it happens to some and not others. Maybe people have different world region settings or a battery harness to power them. I need to know! Haha. I really appreciate anyone's help with this. Look at what I am missing out on people!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have some 50w 4300k HID's installed and they work fine. I had some vvme 35w ones in there before but they started to play up after 18 months.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have 6000K HIDS from vvme.com ive had zero problems. ive had them since last dec. no flickering, etc. i dont have DRL disabled.
Can you do me a giant favor? It's actually pretty easy, haha. All you have to do is pull a fuse in the panel inside the driver door to disable the DRLs. I think it's 34 or 35. If you pull the fuse and turn your switch to the left-most OFF position, can you see if you get the flicker I'm talking about?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also have a VVME kit on my car, and they generally work well. On occasion they will strobe if I turn the switch from the on position to off, but this does'nt happen very often. Switching back to the on position, then off again, will usually negate the stobing on the first try. The fuse for the daytime running lights is not in, either.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Most likely has to do with the bulb out testing and the fact that most kits are 35W. I believe you can install a resistor to even the load. This is a common problem with BMW and Audi. Might want to check out those forums as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had the same issue you need to cut the wire on 87a on one of the fuses... my car is in the shop right now so i cant take a look but when i get it back ill post the answer or if some one takes a pic of the fuse box cover and underside ill tell you which

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SWEET. That would be awesome if the solution was as simple as snipping a wire. I took pictures of this fuse panel and the one under the hood but that one didn't come out readable. Let me know if you need that one though.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, so that's obviously not the right fuse panel, haha. I did a little searching of my own and found that the 87a wire is in the fuse panel under the hood, and leads to the orange relay. So I know where it is, but if you could be more elaborate as to what it does and what "cutting it" will do for me I'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
463 Posts
me too as my HIDs failed their mot under "faulty headlight switch", not beam pattern, colour, brightness, or lack of self cleaning lens which is all the criteria HIDs must pass on. rather frustrating..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Accually meant 87a on a relay (sorry typo) and what it does is stop the residual voltage from getting to the hids causing flicker after turning off power. so just need a pic of under hood relay box.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Accually meant 87a on a relay (sorry typo) and what it does is stop the residual voltage from getting to the hids causing flicker after turning off power. so just need a pic of under hood relay box.
I am confident I can find 87a using the wiring diagram from WIS. It's under the orange relay in the relay box, right? Just lift up the bottom "floor" of that fuse box? Is it really just a snip-snip or do I need to tie it into another wire? I can't thank you enough for your assistance! I'll go out and explore the underside of the orange relay and take some more pictures.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay. I found some things out. I don't think I'm supposed to be looking under the orange relay, but the "Low Beam Relay."

According to WIS, 87a on the dipped beam control lies under this relay:

So this makes me think I should be snipping the "YE/BU" wire (yellow/blue?) coming out from the underside of the dipped beam relay.

I'm going to go put the HID bulbs back in (ballasts are still there thank God), but I'll wait for a confirmation from you before I go cutting any wires. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone know rather than getting into cutting that wire, how do you back it out of the relay box "floor?" How does the end of the yellow/blue wire unclip from there? A picture would be great. I'm thinking I can just take it out, bundle the end in some electrical tape and let it dangle in there in case I ever need to put it back. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AAAH!! We are back in business!! HELLS YEAH! Thank you SOOOO much likestosaab! I put a piece of electrical tape over the contact on the dippbed beam relay and they turn on and off perfectly! I really just put the electrical tape on to make sure it would work before I tried cutting the wire or mutilating the end of it in the relay box. Works for now, so I may as well keep it there. Worst case scenario it rubs through. Meh. Thank you again I really appreciate it! Now I have to aim them down a bit so I don't offend oncoming traffic too too badly. I am blinded by every other car on the road with Xenons and the proper projector beam setup so I may as well get 'em back, haha.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
About this Discussion
158 Replies
54 Participants
bazsaab
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing