SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a problem, just looking for confirmation.....Anyway when i had the manifold off the other day i noticed that rather than being coated black carbon deposits the EXMan had white/cream/brown soot on the inside, i'm guessing that it's because fuel is burning on the manifold (as i'm getting flames on gear change) it's caused the different coloured soot? I better check the plugs at somepoint aswell i suppose:roll: .

·
Registered
527 Posts
From my experience, white soot is antifreeze being burned up...

You might have a small leak either from the turbo, head gasket, or intake manifold...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have a small crack in the exhaust manifold on the LPT, which shows up from the white/cream/brown soot that builds up around it. It's done this for the past 7 years, so It's not anything that going to get suddenly worse. Much the same colour as the plugs really.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
white soot

I'm relatively sure it's not coolant, i'm not loosing any or getting any other signs of HG failure. I've been getting a very loud pop on gear change after comming off from full boost, which is fuel exploding in the manifold or exhaust, i got a friend to follow me and he said that on 1st to 2nd gear change i had about 4ft of flames comming out of the exhaust, so anyway i'm hoping it's just soot from the fuel igniting in the manifold.

I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I hope that your popping isnt happening for the same reason that mine was when i last came to brum!
I didnt notice my car loosing any coolant then either until the day that the crack obviously large enough to reach the coolant too.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
snap crackly & pop

I only get 1 pop or crack, revolver style, not like your Mach10:cheesy: .

I'll keep an eye on thing's, it's hardly noticable at the moment as i'm only running @ 0.55bar. Will see what happens when i plug a working APC/modded into the car, i'm sure 1bar will tell me that's it's the HG failing:cheesy: .

·
Registered
293 Posts
Si, I have the same problem,, white soot on the inside of my manifold and turbo casing, and mine also pops when letting off of the boost,, run your car at night , go for a short run for about 5 minutes then while leaving the engine running., open the hood/bonnet and check your manifold and turbo to see if they are glowing red like mine is doing,, a problem which I still cannot find a cure for :roll:

Mike

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
glowing

I've noticed that a few times, mainly the welds on my manifold glow red, i wanna get a pic but i don't think it will come out on a camera.

I think i've got fueling issues under high boost, definitley flames comming from the exhaust on gear change after full boost :cheesy: as i got someone to follow me.

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
all the manifolds and cast exhaust elbow etc. that I have have a whiteish deposit in the inside with a sooty layer on top. Am currently cleaning up a wastegate assembly for the new engine, and there's a good mm or more of it to grind off!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts