SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 (9-3) just started making a lot of smoke. Before it was only at the start when the car was cold. I also noticed smoke coming from the nipple at the valve cover. I pulled out the hose and smoke was coming from the cover for a while, even after turning off the engine. At the same time I noticed that oil dipstick was dry. Additionally I have PO420 but that showed up about 2 days ago. The car was not driven extensively recently but I didn't noticed any change in driving power, idle or any other behavior except this heavy smoke.
Please help.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If this car is a 9-3 turbo it may be leaking oil past the turbo. Which then we'll come out the exhaust as smoke. You've also got positive crankcase ventilation which is known to get bound up on these vehicles. Did you try putting oil in the car is the dipstick dry simply because you're low on oil. Because if it's drying your not low on oil then obviously you've got a boil circulation issue there's a filter in the oil pan that may be clogged. You may have to drop the oil pan and clean out that filter but first how about a little more information how many miles on this car. Are you using synthetic or conventional oil. Have you kept up with your oil changes. Have you ever done a positive crankcase ventilation update Kit on the car.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So what were you thinking with the dropping coolant maybe he's got a head gasket issue is burning up some coolant or maybe a leak in one of his hoses burning it off the engine or something. He's not coming back with any answers so we're going to be guessing at this point LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts