SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a 1994 Saab 9000 Turbo w Auto Tranny. Since the past few days, when I start the car in the morning, there is a large quantity to white smoke coming out. It happens till the car warms up. It smells a little like oil. I have read that if its white, it might be the head gasket valve/seal. But my saab mechanic says its the turbo. I had heard that if its the turbo charger, then the color should be distinctively blue (is that correct?). I am trying to make sure I spend the $$ on the right resolution.

Any help/suggestions??

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mike,

Lemme know if you get any replies.. this is exactly the same condition I am in. It would be very helpful if you can let me know what the resolution was.

Cheers,
Sachin

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Its the classic sign of the turbo seals going. The smoke will be white and not blue, so the mechanic is correct.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Blue is burning oil, white is vaporizing oil. If the turbine seals go then raw engine oil will be blown down the exhaust pipe and be whitish. If the compressor side goes the oil will pour into the intake and burn in the engine producing clouds of bluish smoke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much Marrk and Superaero. That helps me understand the situation much clearer.

Sachin: I hope you got the replies too. Hopefully it works out for you.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marrk & Superaero,

One more quick Q: Would this mean a complete replacement of the turbocharger system or just the seals that are allowing the oil to leak/seep in?

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

·
Registered
731 Posts
Turbo can be reconditioned if there is nothing too much wrong with it.

Not sure about your location but I would guess you'd be looking at about $150 upwards , depending on what needs doing. Maybe US people can advise?

Other possible routes: get a second-hand one (cheap but risky), buy a reconditioned one (may be good if yours is totally wrecked) or look into a new one, which I'm told are quite cheap in the USA.. to us in the UK at least!

·
Registered
247 Posts
the best way to check for cylinder head gasket ,is to pull the dipstick ,at the top if it is a white gooeey stuff, its normally called EMUSIFICATION,then its gone,if its just oil. then you are ok;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts