SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an automatic 2.3t eco 1999 9-5, I had been thinking my turbo was going out so I pulled my exhaust manafold off to get into the turbo to check the shaft for play and found none, but found white powder all in the inside? Any ideas? White smoke sometimes on start up, smoke from under hood occasionally while idling, and rattling scraping noise when accelerating sometimes. Thanks

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Sounds like a lean burn problem, pull plugs and see what they look like, lean burn could be a lot of things maf, o2, vacuum leak. I get a little white on my turbo's too especially on e85, but never blow white smoke. Does it smell sweet? any coolant loss? Are you running a custom tune? any mods? If custom you may want to bring your fuel trim up or lower the mass-air. If plugs are white then it's most likely a lean condition...fuel system, blocked clogged, or weak fuel pump can obviously cause lean condition too.

I don't really talk like that, just trying to ask questions in shortest format possible :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a lean burn problem, pull plugs and see what they look like, lean burn could be a lot of things maf, o2, vacuum leak. I get a little white on my turbo's too especially on e85, but never blow white smoke. Does it smell sweet? any coolant loss? Are you running a custom tune? any mods? If custom you may want to bring your fuel trim up or lower the mass-air. If plugs are white then it's most likely a lean condition...fuel system, blocked clogged, or weak fuel pump can obviously cause lean condition too.

I don't really talk like that, just trying to ask questions in shortest format possible :)
No visible coolant loss, no mods, no tuning, everything is stock. (btw I know little about cars"/) and weak fuel pump seems likely for it, would that be reason why it makes a squeak squeak in the mornings when its chilly sometimes? while the car is warming up. Also what would explain the rattle clanking noise during acceleration? also had some liquid oil in my intercooler.....

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
a little oil in intake is normal, a lot not so much. pressure blows the oil back into the intake from the crank vent, do you have the PCV #6 update?

A rattling noise under boost can be spark knock if the engine is running lean it will sorta sound like the turbo is chattering. this is VERY bad as lean burn will lead to burnt pistons, a piston can get so hot that it actually burns a hole in it, this is from extreme lean condition. Also what octane do you use? I always suggest 91-93 depending on market ESPECIALLY if you live in higher altitude, the lower the octane the easier the fuel burns so in turbos the high heat low octane combination will lead to spark knock.

And the squeaking is it a constant squeaking? like with idle because that sorta sounds like a idler pulley bearing starting to go bad, the bearing starts to leak after a while and as the grease leaves the bearing dirt and heat start to cause the bearing to squeak as it warms up it'll quiet down normally. The easiest way to check them is to listen to them stethoscope with a metal probe on it, with the engine on if you put it to the bolt *CAREFULLY* of each pulley you will hear a distinct grinding noise in the bad one. idler pulley is a free spinning pulley on your serpentine belt. one is the automatic tensioner for the belt.

Being a 99 if you never have done vacuum lines you probably have a vacuum leak, you can use brake or carb cleaner with the engine running and spray the hoses around the engine, idle will blip or revv up at a leak, *warning flammable spray so do it with car cold and just crank it up and do short shots on hoses before engine warms up as long as your not using starter fluid you will be okay lol* or just visually inspect all the little vacuum lines around the engine and on the throttle body. Also check the hose on the turbo the one going to the waste gate marked W it goes to the metal vacuum cylinder that is mounted right on the turbo, make sure that hose is not split or cut, if it is your car may be overboosting which could be the reason your leaning out on acceleration, though I would think you would hit the fuel cut off on hard acceleration if that was the case.

And do you have a check engine light?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry on my phone so keep noticing more things you asked. I run regular, 89-90 Octane, its pretty hot in sc too. But I had a check engine light a while ago, pulled a few fuses to reset it, and hasn't came back on since that was months ago. Also I have smoke on hard acceleration? Out the tail pipe. any way you could give me a link to a diagram of the vacuum lines? Or explain what they do. SOrry, I'm a car noob, trying to learn, only 17.. thanks for your time!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Reviving an old post for some answers

So in the process of doing some spring repairs I pulled off the down-pipe to find a lot of white residue in the turbine housing and blades. I don't remember back when I replaced my stock exhaust if it was similar but it wasn't enough to make me ask about it then. Most sources say this is from burning lean but what are the other possibilities? There is no coolant loss but there was a bit of oil in the CAC tubes and in the intake manifold and all signs point to the PCV system as the source. If the excess oil burning off could cause this I'm really not concerned as the car runs great, makes no noise and uses no coolant (very little oil). I just want to make sure it isn't a ticking time-bomb. Anyone else see this in their turbos before? The plugs have some white residue but they look pretty normal to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
What fuel do you use? Blends with higher ethanol content will cause this and it is nothing to worry about, especially if everything else checks out. Usually anything E10 or above will give you a white coating on the turbine and turbine housing.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks. I'm pretty sure everything here in Michigan is either E5 or E10 but I really don't pay that much attention. I always run 93 octane, usually Shell or Marathon. If it isn't anything to worry about that is what I was hoping to hear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.