SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading through a number of threads on exhaust smoke to see if I can diagnose my current emissions problem. I have a 2.0lpt 9-5 (99 V plate) which is giving off a reasonable amount (ie not billowing clouds!) of grey white smoke when cold on start-up. There is an amount which issues on revving but also a good puff when lifting the foot off the pedal. Furthermore the problem disappears once the car is warm and running (checking the pipe at the end of the journey gives no smoke at all).
The oil level is fine and I have not noticed anything about performance whilst driving, in particular the turbo.
My research so far indicates that white smoke (and lots of it) usually means a faulty head gasket but could also indicate probems with the turbo seals. I also drive a lot of urban miles so wondered if it was just a build up of particulates as you get with diesel turbos?
I have the car booked in for the 90K service in a few weeks so can ask the guys at WMSS for advice but wondered if its something that I should panic about now. And also, will it be painful in the wallet department?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Are you sure it's smoke and not steam? On mornings like this (damp !!) overnight condensation forms in the back box and tail pipe. As you drive away and the exhaust heats up this condensation evaporates, and is discharges as steam. This would explain why when warm after running for a while you don't see it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not steam as I checked the car on leaving work yesterday afternoon with the same symptom. Also it smells smoky too!
I did forget to mention in the first post that the car had a new turbo installed just prior to me buying it last year, at the time the clock was 78K so I've only done about 11K on this turbo.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
If it smells of oil then it points to the PCV system or the turbo, if it smells "sweet" and like steam, then its antifreeze, suggesting head gasket.

PCV is a good place to start.........WMSS are very well recommended I personally would let them know your concern and sit back knowing that they will only do whats required and know their stuff :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chris, I'll have a sniff later, although I suspect that its a fairly acridy exhausty-type smell. I also think that WMSS replaced one of the pcv hoses about 6months ago when they did the timing chain. I'll have a word with them when it goes in for service.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Let us know how you get on, good luck ;)

G

·
the_silver_fox said:
will it be painful in the wallet department?

Many thanks.
Depends on what ends up being the problem.

Does the car hold its temperature ok? Have a look in your oil filler pipe, is there any gunk around the top. Any oil leeks visable around the rocker cover?

There are 3 main pipes to worry about in the pcv system, these can and do perish causing sludge (DIY fix). Which may or may not have caused your last turbo to blow. If sludge was the issue then you must get the sump dropped and cleaned out as the strainer gets blocked. One would hope that your dealer did this when he changed the turbo, but worth checking. :confused: good luck..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finn,
The temp looks fine, I've not noticed the needle getting too high, once warm it stays around the middle.
Checked the oil level last night and there it was OK, no gunk or mayo on the top of the filler. There is however a little oil on the front RHS of the top cover (which is a notorious spot as far as I can tell).
The turbo was fitted by the Humberside SAAB dealership just prior to me purchasing it from Only SAAB, so I'd assume that they'd done a good job and it should be in the 2 year parts warrantly limit still.
The main PCV hose to the top cover (on the A in SAAB) was replaced and the others checked and OK. I'm going to ask the guys at WMSS to clean the sump out if they can do it during the service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have attempted to reduce the worry by calling WMSS to double-check, they've said that the white smoke is usually a sign of turbo wear so as long as the repair paperwork checks out I should be covered on this one :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts