SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a sign of a turbo on it's way out? It's not loud or anything and sounds great, but am worried that it may be a sign of the turbo giving up.....

·
Registered
883 Posts
None of my 900T8's or T16's ever made any whistling noises except 1 which made more of a whine when the turbo went bad. Has this noise recently developed?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trackside

I could'nt really say as I've only had the car a couple of weeks, when driving with my window down I can hear the whistle as if the turbo is boosting when I depress the gas, I've heard this type of noise before but that was on a Merc 1935 artic unit, you could hear a definite whistle as the turbo engaged whilst pulling a load up a hill. I didn't hear it at all on my old T16 S which is why I'm curious..

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
imagine if you took the turbine blade and put a little tiny nick on it, then spin it as 120,000rpm's chances are it will wistle. every saab turbo i have driven (5) had a turbo that whistled, my friend's 9000 (however it is bad) and my saab has a turbo that whistled, yes it can suggest bearing wear but the truth is these turbo's are STRONG and can whistle very loud for years, only if you see smoke on idle or hear it scream (boosted once when cold to avoid getting rear ended and i heard it SHREEK, bone chilling!) always let the turbo warm up and cool down. very few people every replace water cooled turbo's on these cars, i wouldn't worry about it, mine has been failing for about 15,000kms now, hasn't gotten any worse, it smokes on a long idle sometimes. Mind you i always wait until the car is normal temp and let the turbo cool down 15 seconds on normal driving and up to a minute after hard boosting.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Woywitka,

I haven't seen any smoke emitting from the exhaust and It isn't a loud whistle it's more a "the turbo's working whistle" lol, anyway I'll just keep my eye on it, I already observe the starting off and shutting down precautions and will continue to do so............. Thanks for putting my mind at rest. I'm just getting to know the car and am sure I'll have many more worries to share, lol .....brace yourself!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
hey yeah no worries, i know exactly how you feel. after a while the car stops feeling so foreign and you become one with the car. just the other day it cut out on me, dead no power nothing! i confidently popped the hood, checked all fuses ect. the culpruit was a corroded battery terminal, clened it up and was on my way. Or when my car was boosting full at 4,000rpm up a steep steep freeway hill and it went BOOOOOOOOM!, it was simply a vacuum line had blown apart. these cars are great once you get to know them, i have so much confidence in my saab despite a few little buggers, but hey what more could i ask for, lots of stuff to always do on the car and yet is always starts and runs and gets me places in style, comfort and speed if i need it. saabs are simply put a way of life for me, thank-you saab.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The great thing about these cars is their tank like build quality coupled with what I consider to be beautiful styling, they are for me a love affair and although I run a little VW polo for day to day runs, I always wish I was driving the saab, I intend on keeping this car for as long as possible and slowly improve her, now that's not going to be easy as parts over here in the UK are very expensive but I'm in no hurry and will do bits here and there. indeed, thank you Saab! :)

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
My turbo makes a strange squeaky whistling sound. I guess it might be signs of the turbo on its way out, but it owes me no favours being quite possibly 20 years since a rebuild.

·
Registered
896 Posts
My turbo sounds kind of like woooOOOOO before it gets into boost. Once into boost, the sound goes away. It doesn't smoke at all and pulls nice and hard. I'll start worrying about it when it starts smoking ;) At first I thought it might be the blowoff valve, but that tested out fine and car holds great boost with no problems.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I like the sound as it sort of hovers. It doesn't smoke, pumps 22#s when needed. The sound makes the ricers think twice. With the top down it's great. Maybe it's the low restriction air cleaner or the optimized (backwards BOV), or the high flow plumbing. What ever it is, it's nice and most of all if it ain't broke don't fix it. Get a new radio, satellite or something, to mess with.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
nutcase said:
My turbo makes a strange squeaky whistling sound. I guess it might be signs of the turbo on its way out, but it owes me no favours being quite possibly 20 years since a rebuild.
Are the ones on 99's not supposed to whistle? Mine was really loud! (i can only just hear the one on the 900T when its wound up). I suppose some of this could be due to better sound proofing on the 900.
Mine has been rebuilt at some point (rebuilders label on it), and has no play in that i can notice in the rotatey bits.

I kinda liked the whistle! I knew it was a turbo car!. It adds to the flying a plane effect too! :lol:

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I've had my SPG for almost a year now, and my turbo has been making whistling sounds for as long as I can remember. And I don't think there's anything wrong with it because it doesn't smoke, and it makes full boost right to the end of the yellow. I doubt it's the hooter valve in my case because I replaced the plastic valve with the stainless steel Forge Motorsports valve. But who knows - maybe Forge valve whistles just the same.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If it does..I'll change my brand of **** <------ USA members (read ciggarettes) :cheesy:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts