SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last night I heard an "alarm" type whistle when I depressed the brake pedal. Wasn't sure what car was making the noise, if it was outside the car, or what until I did it again.

The noise just popped up, continued for a few blocks of driving, and now has dropped down to a little squeak only when driving.

Here are some additional details:

1. Depressing the brake pedal when the car is stopped does not produce the noise, with or without the engine running.

2. No evidence of leaking brake fluid and reservoir caps are tight

3. No clutch interaction, ie clutch is smooth and makes no noise

4. It's somewhat cold outside (30F) and that's the coldest that I've driven this car

Any ideas what this is?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I think what you are hearing are called brake pad wear indicators. A metal piece built into your brake pads that tells you when your pads are worn out and need to be changed. Essentially what you are hearing is metal rubbing on your metal rotor surface. Change your pads soon before you put unnecessary wear on your rotor surfaces. BTW, Welcome to the forum and be sure to post up some photos, or you owe us all a beer.

·
Registered
348 Posts
That is so funny, I just noticed the same thing. I thought it was some soft of RF interference from my iPod going through the cassette. It wasn't, I turned off everything electrical, including the ACC.

It's a very faint sound, when the pedal is depressed, and when it's returning back to rest position. I'm thinking it's related to the cold.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The sound is definitely coming from inside the cabin, and doesn't go away with long distance driving, or heat.

Have you made any progress scostigan? I just noticed it this past week.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does the sound only happen when are depressing the brake pedal, or can you hear it while the pedal isn't moving? I know MikeJavo stated he can hear it whenever the pedal is traveling, but didn't know if scostigan is experiencing the same symptom. Could it be that the pedal just needs a little lubrication like some silicone spray or something? (I try to stay away from wd-40 as it collects dirt rather easily) Also, can the the noise be heard from outside the car?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MikeJavo, just like yours the sound only comes when the brake is returning back to rest position -- and it's pretty clearly from inside the cabin.

Visually I could not see anything "wrong" and I haven't seen any fluid level changes/leaks/drips on concrete, etc.

Yesterday the sound -- while still fairly faint -- started dividing into a two-part, sing-song thing. With any luck, I'll have a full choir soon.

Then, from Yahoo! Answers, I found this:

Resolved Question

Show me another »
Saab 9-5 brakes wheezing?

Have a 2003 Saab 9-5 2.3T.

Most of the time when i take my foot off the brake pedal i hear this wheezing sound, it goes away when i use the pedal again.

Answers/hints?

• 5 months ago
Report Abuse

by GSD PAL Member since:July 07, 2007Total points:11839 (Level 6)

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

It could be two things...

Lack of lubrication between the brake pedal push rod and the booster. Remove the driver's side hush panel and with the engine running, confirm the noise is coming from the brake booster/pedal rod. If so grab a can of silicone spray and lubricate the area where the rod enters the booster. Apply the brake pedal and determine if the noise has been eliminated. If the noise persists and seems to be coming from the booster then the booster itself is probably noisy and if the braking is acceptable then you may want to live with it considering a new booster is around 800.00 dollars not including labor.

• 4 months ago

I think I may get out a can of silicon lube and hit the brake pedal rod assembly this weekend. If you get there first, let us know what happens!

·
Registered
348 Posts
That's a good question, I'll lower the window while driving, but since I can't hear it when the pedal is depressed while stopped, I wouldn't be able to have someone listen outside the car.

I'll try the silicone grease spray, but to me it sounds more like an electrical, RF interference sound.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
from yahoo! answers

Came this...

It could be two things...

Lack of lubrication between the brake pedal push rod and the booster. Remove the driver's side hush panel and with the engine running, confirm the noise is coming from the brake booster/pedal rod. If so grab a can of silicone spray and lubricate the area where the rod enters the booster. Apply the brake pedal and determine if the noise has been eliminated. If the noise persists and seems to be coming from the booster then the booster itself is probably noisy and if the braking is acceptable then you may want to live with it considering a new booster is around 800.00 dollars not including labor.

So I'm going to hit it with the silicone spray this weekend, if not sooner... MikeJavo if you get there first, let us know what happens.

·
Registered
134 Posts
eeuroparts.com has the booster for Mike's 03 wagon for $189, not sure what year your's is scostigan. $800 sounds ridiculous, that might be from the dealer. For my 01, they are going for $239, I've got what sounds like a vacuum leak coming from my booster, so I'll be changing mine out soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
great, thanks... much better price... mine's an '04, 84k.

will hit it with silicone today and see if that's the trick...

if not, I can live with it for now. braking is fine.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks guys.

Lots of great suggestions here. Sean, what does your vacuum leak sound like, if anything? I'll definitely try the silicone lube and check all hoses under the hood associated with the braking system.

Braking performance is fine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I recently posted a thread on what mine is doing:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177110

Basically, it sounds more like a hissing noise, and the noise I'm hearing will actually go away when I apply the brake pedal, or if I accelerate enough to hit boost. The noise sounds like it coming from right behind the steering wheel, which is where the booster is on the other side of the firewall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.