SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Saab experts,

I am posting this message on behalf of my parents, who are going on holiday soon. Their Saab 9-5 produces a high whining noise when the motor is cold - the noise disappears once the motor has reached normal temperature. They have taken it to their dealer, but they did not manage to locate the source of the noise, and have only replaced some ventilation tubes. I checked several Saab sites, and encountered a posting on a similar problem that said the whining noise might indicate serious motor problems (it could be caused by low oil pressure in the system controlling the belt?).

I hope that one of you recognizes these symptoms and can advise whether it is safe to drive long distances?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Hi and welcome!

This noise could mean the oil pick up in the sump is blocked with sludge, and that's bad :(

If they have replaced the breather pipes and the noise continues you need to get the sump cleaned out and the oil system flushed and refilled with nice new fully synthetic oil.....as soon as possible!

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Hi Kristine, welcome to Saab Central. :cheesy: Engine noises are notoriously difficult to diagnose, the whining could indeed be a sign of trouble to come. The sludging problem could be a cause of this, the oil strainer in the sump could be partially blocked and causing oil starvation on the top of the engine. If your parents have time i'd recommend getting the pan dropped and checked for sludge build up/blocked oil strainer. The whining sound could also be a worn pulley. If your parents must take the car, make sure they have some form of breakdown cover..just in case. :confused: I'm not trying to worry you, these diagnosis like i said are difficult at the best of times. I hope i'm wrong and its something less serious.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Dear Chris and Kermit,

Many thanks for your swift replies and expert advice! I am very glad I posted the message, since it sounds like a serious problem after all. At least now we know where to start!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Please let us know how you(they) get on ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was suffering from the same sort of problem, after having the car serviced with fully synthetic oil the problem has gone, touch wood!:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts