SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just a couple of questions. Firstly my power steering seems to make a fairly quiet whining noise when turning the wheel. I have heard other cars doing this but only when the steering is on full lock but mine is doing it when the wheel is being turned. I have once turned quickly one way then the other to find the steering suddenly go heavy! Just wondering if this is a common saab trait or if its a fault. Im not to worried as the pas system is warrantied from the car dealer i bought the car from, so i just need to know if it needs to go back to be fixed.

Secondly I am wanting to fit a towbar to my car (2000 5dr hatch), I am looking at a removable towbar, but i am a bit confused about the electrics for it. I know on modern cars you need bypass relays to avoid problems with bulb warnings etc. However i have been told 9-3s have a pre-wired connector in the boot. Firstly, do all 9-3s have this or is it something i need to look for first? Secondly, can i just buy a wiring harness that connects to this connector then straight to the 7pin towing socket?
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
rallysteve said:
Hi there, just a couple of questions. Firstly my power steering seems to make a fairly quiet whining noise when turning the wheel. I have heard other cars doing this but only when the steering is on full lock but mine is doing it when the wheel is being turned. I have once turned quickly one way then the other to find the steering suddenly go heavy! Just wondering if this is a common saab trait or if its a fault. Im not to worried as the pas system is warrantied from the car dealer i bought the car from, so i just need to know if it needs to go back to be fixed.

Secondly I am wanting to fit a towbar to my car (2000 5dr hatch), I am looking at a removable towbar, but i am a bit confused about the electrics for it. I know on modern cars you need bypass relays to avoid problems with bulb warnings etc. However i have been told 9-3s have a pre-wired connector in the boot. Firstly, do all 9-3s have this or is it something i need to look for first? Secondly, can i just buy a wiring harness that connects to this connector then straight to the 7pin towing socket?
Cheers Steve
Buy the SAAB genuine trailer hitch, it's cheaper than you think from Patrick's SAAB
on special at $74.94 down from $315
http://www.patrickaccessories.com/productdetail.asp?ProdId=1650&mcid=2&cid=217&scid=237

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I'd venture that few if any tow bars were sold at such an inflated price of $315.

Draw Tite has some nice units at a competitive price.

Maybe the power steering fluid should be changed; but the whining noise should be investigated.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
By the way, did you check the power steering fluid level? Was it full? was any power steering fluid added recently? If so, what type?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts