SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1998 93 2.0 s convertible that makes a whining noise when accelerating. It also whines on over run during engine braking when the I lift off the throttle, it goes wha! wha! wha! wha! wha! really quickly. The noise seems to come from the left hand wheel arch or engine bay. The whining stops when the clutch is depressed. I don't think its the wheel bearing as the noise stops when freewheeling in neutral. Could anybody help me? I love my car but this noise is really annoying me. The noise was noticable when I bought the car with 37,000 miles on it, the car now has 57,000 miles on it, but the noise has not got louder.
Cheers,
Andy Hird

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Weird! I wonder if it's something in the transmission or in the clutch throwout bearing. Both of those are towards the left. You might want to check the oil level in the transmission soon.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Hello,

My old '92 9000 is doing this as well. 5 speed stick. It's the transmission pinion bearing + perhaps some others.

Unfortunately, it's an expensive fix, basically either a) a replacement transmission with who knows what issues existing (cheaper option, but taking chances) b) a tranny rebuild with all new bearings, etc. More expensive, however, you then know that your tranny is all up to par once again, and should last you life of the car.

Due to the condition of my 9000, including externally leaking head gasket + water pump (seeping, nothing super major yet), I've decided to just let her run till either the head gasket goes or the tranny bearings go.

Since you have very low milage, I'd suggest getting your tranny rebuilt and going from there, that is, assuming it doesn't have any OTHER major mechanical issues at this time. If it does, then weigh your issues and take your chances.

I'm 99% sure it's the pinion bearing(s) so it's def. involving the transmission; mine does the exact same whine noise, more prevaliant in 5th or 4th gear. Apparently, as long as it is not getting worse at a rapid rate, you should be fine for a while. A while all depending on driving conditions and style, of course. I've decided to give that car to my girlfriend as she drives like an old lady, and my new 9-3 can take the abuse that I put on cars =)

Sorry about the bad news, but like i said, you should be able to run it for a while without doing much damage, only start to get concerned when the noise gets worse in a short short period of time.

A few mechanics I've talked to said they've run cars with the whining for 2+ years without any troubles...

peace,
bny

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Thanks for the info, I've been running the car with this whine for two and a half years now, and mines the same as yours worst in 4th and 5th gears. Everything else is spot on with the car, and it's in exceptionally good condition, so I'll probably get it fixed. Is the pinion bearing part of the drivetrain ? and is it an easy d.i.y. repair ? I've bought a Haynes manual but I can't find any reference to the pinion bearing. I've seen those Saab workshop manuals on CD advertised on Ebay, does anyone know if it describes the repair on these ??
Cheers,
Andy.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My car does this sometimes too, although its an automatic transmission. It seems to be more pronounced with the a/c on. Not sure what the cause is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts