SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lately I have noticed a whining noise in my 2001 Viggen. I can hear the noise the most when she's idling, and it's a clean, subdued whining. It almost sounds like a jet. I was thinking that the whining might be coming from the fuel pump.

Also, I noticed a separate noise when I pulled the dipstick out (the car was on). It was a high-pitched whine, coming from the dipstick area. I just changed my oil to 15W-50.

Are these two whining noises related? What are they from? Are they normal?

-Avinash

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Fuel pump is under the rear seat. If the noise is coming from the engine bay, then it is not the Fuel Pump. Your car is a little too new for that to be a problem right now, but it could be.

The oil gets pressurized while the engine is on. Unless you want to be the laughing stock of the town, I would not pull the dipstick with the engine on. You are going to cover yourself and the entire engine compartment in oil one of these days :)

PS> Personally, I think that oil weight is over kill. You car might perform better with a lower weight oil such as 0W40.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I just dropped in some 0w40 last night and she DOES seem a lot happier..

My (quite mechanically inclined) friend helped me (it's laughably easy to change oil on these cars!!) and insisted we clean out the throttle body with some throttle body cleaner (there's a surprise, much better than the sand I WAS gonna use..)

He said that cleaning the throttle body wouldnt help at WOT, but sometimes if the throttle body is dirty it can cause problems at idle... It's really easy: pop of the top intake hose, CAREFULLY clean both sides of the throttle plate with a soft rag and the aforementioned cleaner. Might be worth a try..

Also, check for obvious vacuum leaks.. there's about 6 million lines under there..

Hope she's ok:confused: .... It's kinda funny that most sounds a Viggen makes can be compared to a jet:cool:

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
funny enough i read an tech tip the other day about ng900/9-3 , late 9000 and 9-5 suffering with this, does it go away when the engine is hot, cus the tech tip suggests that it does and the problem is a partially blocked strainer so get it looked at PDQ before your engine suffers ireversable damage

1 - 4 of 4 Posts