SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, there seem to be quite a few problems popped up in the last month with our beloved 4 syl engines... Something to do with the weather?

My 98 85K 95 has just had it's oil drained, flushed (without using flush additive, just an oil flush), and changed to full synth 0w/40 at 85K.

For the first 300miles after the change the engine purrs like a kitten and the car runs really smooth, now I'm approaching 500 miles after the opil change, and I'm getting a quiet whiring noise when engine is running and getting a bit excessive vibration.

The noise is actually noisier with window closed than window down (maybe masked by outside traffic), it's a faily high pitch constant note, not too loud but noticable. The noise is audible even when idelling in nutral.

The vibration feeling is not just at idelling but during driving as well.

I checekd the oil, it's full and appears very clean.

Oil Sludging problem? Fingures crossed it's not one of those...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Doesnt sound like sludging.

When do you get the noise, under what conditions?

Does any of the noise stop if the ACC is switched off?

Strange it gets louider with the window up??? :confused:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris, I turned the ACC off and the noise is still there, It's really weird the noise is more audible when window is up LOL, first thing I checked was it's not the cabin fan, doesn't seem to be.

So far I've only been listerning to it in day time while driving, the traffic noise probably masks it. I'm going to have a listern this sunday morning when there's less traffic and see if I can locate it from under the bonnet.

I've never listerend to a different 9-5 than my own, I've only based the observation from the 4000 or so miles I've done in it. It'll be good to get the chance to have a listern to other 9-5 engines and have a compare.

LOL, I feel a total nut for wanting to compare car engine notes like audiophiles, but for my 9-5 it's worth it ;)

Is there any Saab get together in the UK coming up soon?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts