SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have had a whining sound from my accessory/serpentine belt area for a long time now. Pretty sure I isolated it to the alternator. I was due for an accessory belt change, and I decided to go with the "alternative short belt" that is just slightly longer than the original short belt. I am happy to report that it did indeed quiet down the whining sound significantly, to the point that is barely discernible. Here is the link to the belt in case anyone wants to give it a go: https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/183702/Accessory-Drive-Belt-6K-2427-K060956/

You can also find it on Amazon for significantly less money. Just search for Gates K060956. Amazon even says it is the "preferred belt" FWIW.

Coincidence? Alternator going to fail in a month? Possibly! But it's worth a short if you have to do the belt anyway, and it fits well with no ill effects.

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
Did you happen to notice where the tensioner's mark was with the shorter short belt compared to the longer short belt? I had a short belt on my wife's 9-5 for a while that was so short the mark on the tensioner was right at the limit. I eventually put the long belt back on, and the factory specified length for that put the tensioner's mark right in the middle of its range. I felt better with it there than at the limit.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you happen to notice where the tensioner's mark was with the shorter short belt compared to the longer short belt? I had a short belt on my wife's 9-5 for a while that was so short the mark on the tensioner was right at the limit. I eventually put the long belt back on, and the factory specified length for that put the tensioner's mark right in the middle of its range. I felt better with it there than at the limit.
Didn't check. :(

To be clear I didn't put the long belt on. I just put on a slightly longer short belt. I don't know if that was clear in my post or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts