SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I am going to take off the head to replace my head gasket. My 02 aero has just gotton to the 80,000 mile mark yesterday. Is there anything else i should replace while i have the head off and room to work? I hear the idler pulley needs to be replaced cause they go bad..

Any suggestions would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Whats wrong with the head gasket?
If the belt and pulleys have not been done yet i would do that and possibly the tensioner.
Also check your water pump and i don't know if CPS is easier to access when the head is of

·
Registered
399 Posts
Also check your water pump and i don't know if CPS is easier to access when the head is of
Yes, it will have less intake hoses and wires in the way w/ the stuff removed for head removal. If you want to do it, do it when the head is off. Still can be done w/o too much trouble with everything there, but doing it now makes it that much faster.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Just a quick question. Before going through the effort of replacing the head gasket have you tried re-torquing the head bolts by just removing the valve cover (cam cover)? This would be about 100x easier and may solve your problem. I've heard of some people finding their head bolts were way loose.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i figured it was the head gasket because i am getting coolant into cylinder one (found this out when i changed the spark plugs). Yes i tried to retorque the head bolts last weekend with new bolts and unfortunately it did nothing. Unfortunately none of the bolts were loose. Well it sucks now but i just replaced the CPS about a month ago.

I just have heard that the idler pulley or the belt tensioner usually go on the four cylinders.. am i correct?

Also i am going to check if my head is warped. have anyone heard of the head on the 4cylinder going bad?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
well i figured it was the head gasket because i am getting coolant into cylinder one (found this out when i changed the spark plugs). Yes i tried to retorque the head bolts last weekend with new bolts and unfortunately it did nothing. Unfortunately none of the bolts were loose. Well it sucks now but i just replaced the CPS about a month ago.

I just have heard that the idler pulley or the belt tensioner usually go on the four cylinders.. am i correct?

Also i am going to check if my head is warped. have anyone heard of the head on the 4cylinder going bad?

Thanks
never seen it before....youd really have to overheat the **** out of it to get it to go. The blocks in 9-5s are heavy, but they are also STRONG. as is the head gasket.

check for warpage, but i don't think youll find much.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Thanks
My MY99 had either a warped head or cracked head possibly. My HG was good when I pulled the head off. I was burning oil from cyl's 1,3, and 4. Wasn't the turbo either. Oil all over the inside of the exhaust manifold ports. You can see if the machine shop can check for warpage or cracks. If you replace the HG then you'll probably want to do this anyway.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If you were closer I'd Mag it for ya.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never over heated the engine at all. The hottest it has ever gotten was running temp. i am going to still check the head and pressure test it because it will help me sleep at night. Has anyone heard about an idler pulley going bad? i have heard they go bad around 60,000 miles..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you done a compression test yet to see if it is truely your HD that is bad? This is the real way to see.

I did not do a compression test but i have a pool of antifreeze in cylinder number one when i take out the spark plug. I put a paper towel in there to make sure it was antifreeze. it came out nice and red. I hear the only way antifreeze can get into any cylinder is through a gasket break..

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
IMO I would get a compression test kit from somewhere like Autozone and test it out. If it test good then I would get some new head bolts and replace the old ones. Also have you checked recently to see if there is more in the cylinder? And is there any bubbling going on in your coolant tank? Because a blown headgasket can do that too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i can do a quick compression test before i go and take off the head. well im going through about a liter of collant in a week or a little over a week. I get the nice white smoke right away on startup with the sweet smell.. it also runs rough sometimes on cold start ups like its trying to burn that collant out of the cylinder. I retorqued the head with new bolts about two weeks ago and nothing happened unfortunately..

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Well know you are giving us more info to work with. If you are going thru coolant that much and the white exhaust smoke/smell it does seem to be the HD. Next time if you included all this in your post it would be easier to help you out. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Has anyone heard about an idler pulley going bad? i have heard they go bad around 60,000 miles..
Yes, the small idler pulley lasts about 60k. The larger tensioner and center pulleys last about 120k. So you do those as part of your 60k and 120k major maintenance along with the serp belt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah i think its getting bad because now when i start up my car i hear a small valve tapping for about a min then its very silent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts