SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at possibly a turbo x. We had a 99' 9-5se and loved it. We would like an AWD vehicle and had good luck with our previous Saab. Is there a specific year to look for? Is the 2.0T a better option than the V6?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Looking at possibly a turbo x. We had a 99' 9-5se and loved it. We would like an AWD vehicle and had good luck with our previous Saab. Is there a specific year to look for? Is the 2.0T a better option than the V6?
I think the TurboX is only a 2008 model, but XWD was available on Aero's and 2.0T models from 2009-2011.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I want to just confirm that the turbox was only produced for the 2008 model year.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Also, having owned both a 2.0T and the 2.8T, performance wise the V6 blows the 4 out of the water. As far as gas mileage and coilpack reliability go, the V6 suffers. With the added drivetrain loss of xwd I wouldn't be content with the 4 cylinder (non aero models from 2008-2009, all xwd 9-3s 2010-2011).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The later the better...?
The TurboX was manufactured for almost a full year from mid 2007, into mid 2008, as a 2008 model, though some were sold as 2009s?
Somewhere mid/end of run some minor improvements were incorporated (only on hearsay) incl updated XWD components (ie rear diff... most of these mods/improvements would probably have been upgraded on warranty/recalls on most cars by now, back when Saab/GM was still active).

[I have no sources or facts to these statements, just heard through the grape wine...]

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Also, having owned both a 2.0T and the 2.8T, performance wise the V6 blows the 4 out of the water. As far as gas mileage and coilpack reliability go, the V6 suffers. With the added drivetrain loss of xwd I wouldn't be content with the 4 cylinder (non aero models from 2008-2009, all xwd 9-3s 2010-2011).
Agree.
The funnest I've had so far in a Saab was in my Vtuned 2006 Aero, 2.8T, FWD. A handful to drive, lighter and less trans losses, lively. Different cars, "horses for courses..."

Still, I love my TXSC, wouldn't change it for any other Saab...
...or maybe a late vert, or 900 vert, or 96 Monte Carlo... or... :lol:

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
[I have no sources or facts to these statements, just heard through the grape wine...]
Awww man, you got the grape wine ?!? Not fair ..... rest of us only hear stuff through the grape vine and that just ain't as good !

;)

Still, I love my TXSC, wouldn't change it for any other Saab...
...or maybe a late vert, or 900 vert, or 96 Monte Carlo... or... :lol:
I'll trade ya my 2.0T SC (Aero-spec'd) :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay my mistake. I thought the turbo x was what the AWD 9-3's were called. Were just looking for a XWD Saab. Not sure what the best year to look for is.

·
Registered
04 9-3 Aero, 08 9-3 Aero, 09 2.0T XWD
919 Posts
2009 Aero is the last V6 you can get with XWD. it's essentially the same as the TurboX in terms of specs but it's got an Aero body kit instead.

I really wish I could get behind the wheel of a XWD 9-3

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
It's for our daughter going to college. Here in Wyoming we ten snow anywhere from September to June so it's nice having XWD. We're also looking to the 9-2x's as well.
I would lean to a 9-3 over 9-2X if safety is a concern. I trust the 9-3 body structure more, the 9-2 is a SAABaru and smaller.

Whichever you decide, FWD or XWD, make sure you get her a good set of snow tires and rims for easy change over. More important than XWD over FWD IMO.

·
Registered
535 Posts
XWD is a blast to drive in the snow. Makes the car almost impossible to loose control if your daughter respects the limits of the car. For sure rear diff is a concern and inquire if it has been replaced/serviced before you buy.

Good luck finding the perfect car for her. I would try to find a SportCombi (wagon) if I were you! Perfect college student car!!

·
Registered
04 9-3 Aero, 08 9-3 Aero, 09 2.0T XWD
919 Posts
There's definitely potential for issues but the performance aspect of it really appeals to me. Plus a SAAB that isn't just front wheel drive is a cool thing. I'd love a late model 9-3 Aero with a tuned 2.0 and XWD.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Is $8988 too much to pay for a 2011 9-3 XWD? It has 104,000 miles on it. If so what would be a good price to pay?
Too many miles on drivetrain that has had issues, IMO

For $9000-11000 you can get a 2011 9-3 non XWD with under 50,000 miles

If you are sold on XWD you would have to spend $13000 plus for one of 25,000-50000 miles

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Okay my mistake. I thought the turbo x was what the AWD 9-3's were called. Were just looking for a XWD Saab. Not sure what the best year to look for is.
2009 Aero is the last V6 you can get with XWD. it's essentially the same as the TurboX in terms of specs but it's got an Aero body kit instead.

I really wish I could get behind the wheel of a XWD 9-3

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.