SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 SE Turbo. I've searched the forums and elsewhere and and feel less sure of what to buy. I'm leaning toward Graf, but if I can save money and get the same quality, I'm all for that. Recommendations?

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
I've been happy with the Graf water pumps I have on two of my Saabs so far. One's still relatively new and doesn't even have 10,000 miles on it, but the other has somewhere between 20,000 and 30,000 miles. I had installed a couple of Hepu pumps before those, and the Hepus both failed very early. I bit the bullet and bought a factory water pump for my third Saab. If you can swing the extra $80 or so, the factory pump is probably worth it. That seems to be the only one that will last 100,000 miles or more. At least on a '95 900, replacing the pump isn't as awful of a job as it is on a T7 9-3 or 9-5, which is why I didn't feel so bad about cheaping out on the pump for my '97 900. The turbo coolant line that bolts to the front of the water pump on a T7 car makes replacing the pump infinitely more difficult.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
Graf has been the one I've used generally as well, although the last one I used was actually a Gates branded pump. Hepu used to be a good brand, and I've installed a lot of them on older Saabs, but I think their quality has fallen off. Lots of complaints on other makes, which is what lead me to choose Graf more recently. I would avoid GMB pumps - also a lot of negative feedback there.

·
Registered
18,372 Posts
I recall from days gone by that if you could find an aftermarket pump with a gold impeller it was factory without the factory price. I haven't seen one for sale in a while though.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Airtex was who used to sell the aftermarket gold impeller water pump. I had bought one, but it didn't last, either, which surprised me. It was even made in Spain, like the OEM pump. I wonder if I just got a rare bad one.

·
Registered
18,372 Posts
Airtex was who used to sell the aftermarket gold impeller water pump. I had bought one, but it didn't last, either, which surprised me. It was even made in Spain, like the OEM pump. I wonder if I just got a rare bad one.
Interesting. I don't see them out there any longer with the gold impeller. They sell an inexpensive one that must be Chinese junk.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
Very few aftermarket companies sells purely self-made parts anymore. In the effort to pursue a complete catalog some stuff gets manufactured, some stuff outsourced, some stuff rebooted. It seems to be more true of bigger brands (Airtex/Wells/NGK for example) than smaller brands (Graf, for example). Sometimes it works out well for the consumer, but IMHO the outweighs the good by a lot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts