Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

i would like to ask for help from you.

my starter is done.

so i bought this one:
skandix.de/en/spare-parts/electrics/starter/1021181/

this one is already 2nd buy, as first i bought Hella stater, but mechanic told me that it does not fit.

so i took from skandix and mechanic just called me that its wrong as well.

he told me that old starter (Mitsubishi) has 10 teeth and newone has 9.

seller from skandix don't know what to do, because :

"We are selling several of these starters for exactly this OE reference and engine types without any problems"

so question is, if mechanic is doing something wrong or starter is wrong ?

have you any experiences with "teeth" issue of new starter?

thanks

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
While Saab switched from Bosch to Mitsubishi starters around 2002, they interchange according to people who have swapped them. (Otherwise the flywheel or mounting would have to be different.)

According to WIS, the earlier Bosch starter had 9 teeth; the later Mitsubishi had 10 teeth.
https://saabwisonline.com/a3/9-3/20...rting-system/starter-motor-for-petrol-engine/
https://saabwisonline.com/c7/9-5/20...system/starter-motor-for-4-cyl-petrol-engine/

Unless there is a reason not to swap between Bosch and Mitsubishi starters that originally came on the cars, either the 9-tooth or 10-tooth starter should work.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't know the nuances of Saab starters (I've rebuilt them, but not swapped different brands)...but...

One having nine teeth and another having ten teeth does not necessarily mean that they are not compatible with the same flywheels...even more likely if they are from different manufacturers.

E.g., if the circumference of the 10 tooth is exactly one tooth larger than the circumference of the nine tooth, the pressure face angles and engagement/pitch *could* be the same. IOW, the flywheel doesn't care HOW MANY teeth the starter has...it just cares about how it engages.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
I just checked the Saab parts catalogue, and it has exactly the same flywheel listed for 1998 9-3 as for 2003. Since we know the starters switched between the Bosch and Mitsubishi, it makes it almost 100% certain that either starter will work on a B2X5 engine. So if we are talking OEM starters removed from another Saab, either Bosch or Mitsubishi should bolt up and work properly.

It does look like those Skandix starters are not actually made by the OEM manufacturer. Then it comes down to the quality of the manufacture. In which case, either of those starters would work if Skandix' suppliers are good quality. If they are poor quality, well then it's random chance.

I would suggest to examine again that the mounting holes and length of the nose that holds the spur gear are the same between the Skandix starter and your old starter. If it looks the same, I would bolt it on.

On the other hand, if you can exchange your present Skandix starter for the other one with the "right" number of teeth for your mechanic, there can be fewer excuses if something goes wrong. But that will take longer and maybe cost more.

Personally, I would clean up a used starter from a Saab and install it. That worked very well on my 9-5 (Mitsubishi starter). It even mostly worked for my 900 (Bosch starter), although the second Bosch starter failed the same way the first one did, after about six years of use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for hints,

so mechanic made some measurements and old starter (10teeths) has visible larger diameter than starter from skandix (9teeth).

he had a luck and bought the starter ( i forget vendor name) with 10 teeth and it works well. we'll see how long ,
the original Mitsubishi works 15 years at least good :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts