SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2003 9-3 Linear, that had the Launch and Touring packages, as well as the Sport Wheel package (17 inch, 5 spoke design). I live in NJ, and have put 93,000 miles on the car since it was purchased in Jan of 2003. Between all the miles and the poor NJ roads I drive on, I've had probems with bent rims since we bought the car. I had the rims straightened with GREAT results at a place in PA a few years back.

I'm thinking that I'd prefer to put a new set of rims that WON'T bend this time around. I'd also like to stick with a stock look, so I'm primarily looking at Saab 17 inch rims. Has anyone here had any issues with any of the 17 inch rims on this page: http://www.saab.com/main/US/en/accessories/10/93_SS/2003/T/1/result.shtml

TIA,
Chris

·
Registered
407 Posts
i would think that they would all perform the same since they are all oem spec

·
Registered
170 Posts
Launch package???

I have an 03 9-3 Vector. I have the 2.0T with a 5sp Sentronic. How can I tell if I have it? I have 17" wheels. I saw another persons Vector on this site, the same year, but he has different wheels than me. I thought Vectors were the best 9-3's, so wouldnt that mean I have it all???

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,347 Posts
wmk1975 said:
I have an 03 9-3 Vector. I have the 2.0T with a 5sp Sentronic. How can I tell if I have it? I have 17" wheels. I saw another persons Vector on this site, the same year, but he has different wheels than me. I thought Vectors were the best 9-3's, so wouldnt that mean I have it all???
All North America Vectors came with those rims you have. No other option for different rims. In Europe they have Vector trim, but it is entirely different than ours. Linears and Arcs could get the sports wheel package that had 17's that looked like these:

The launch package was only available on early Linears and had options standard on the Vector.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
wmk1975 said:
Usually you can see what size your tires are by reading the information on the Sidewall...for instance, 225/45-17 woul indicate 17" wheels.

As for a Vector having it all? You could or could not have bi-xenon lights, three sound system options?, SPA?, Cold Weather Pkg? etc. there were lots of options to choose.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JonV, great info on that site. They do have some nice rims, the RTs and RVs especially. Any idea on price?

With regards to the way the rims have held up. I noticed a bit of a shudder/shake in the steering wheel at higher speeds. I ended up noticing that the inside of the rim (the portion not supported by the spokes of the rim) had "flat spots" in them. As I spun the wheel when it was up on a lift, you'd notice a flat spot. Wheel Collision in Bath PA did a great job in "straightening" them out at a fraction of what new or reconditioned rims would have cost me. Now, a few years later and I have the shudder back again. It's livable, but I'm just thinking about alternatives. Maybe some winter tires on the stock rims and the current (all season.. blah) tires on some new rims.

To add to what others said about the Launch Package, as I said earlier we bought this car for my wife back in January of 2003. I think that was pretty early in the lifecycle of this model. I always assumed that the Launch Package was kind of a place holder for Arcs. Very early on all you could get was the Linear. Our Linear has options that weren't available on Linears later in that model year from what I understand. It was a way that Saab could offer some different options, even though the didn't have the power train or interior of the higher end models worked out just yet.

Here's a pic of my rims. You can see that the rocker panels (and front and rear chin spoilers) are body color matched. The interior is definitely Linear, except it has the SID, dual zone automatic climate control, heated seats etc.

http://picasaweb.google.com/camack/Saab/photo#5128067543154707506

G

·
Saab wheels are made by Ronal. Here is a site with prices for the Ronal wheels:
http://www.stateofnine.com/page/stateofnine/CTGY/WHEELS

The Launch package was initially available on the Linear models to make it similar to the Arc models. These are the specs of the first 2003 tested by Edmunds.com so it sounds like yours also has the Touring and Sport wheel package.
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcont.../93/1894/roadtestarticle.html&articleId=79822

Front Heated Seats ($495 — includes heated front seats and headlight washers), Linear Launch Package ($2,595 — includes 150-watt Infotainment audio system, 6-disc in-dash CD changer, color-matched lower exterior trim, power sunroof, 16-inch 10-spoke alloy wheels, P215/55R16 all-season tires and power driver seat), Linear Touring Package ($995 — includes dual-zone automatic climate control, bi-xenon headlights, auto-dimming mirror, integrated garage door opener and compass), Sentronic Automatic Transmission ($1,200), Sport Wheel Package ($1,295 — includes 17-inch 5-spoke alloy wheels, P215/50R17 performance tires, tire-pressure monitors and sport-tuned suspension).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Rim treatments?

My brakes make a ton of dust that end up making my rims all black. I wonder if there is a way to protect my rims from the dust? Some type of treatment that could be applied to the rim to help protect it from the corrosive brake dust?

·
Super Moderator
20,347 Posts
Buy ceramic pads next time you do your brakes.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Diggs said:
Buy ceramic pads next time you do your brakes.
Ceramics are for better and don't crud up rims. Check at www.tirerack.com for rims and pad. I've bought several sets of tires/rims and other parts from Tire Rack and had local shops install them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a set of 15-spoke and I recomend them, they seem hard to clean but if you do this twice a month they are pretty shinny..

·
Registered
299 Posts
what you need is more rubber to protect the rims and dampening the impact of rough roads.

expect the rims to be more or less the same, apart from design.
go with smaller diameter, like 16 or 15 inch and you will be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts