SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just had a bad day. I was driving and my temp gauge started to climb. pulled over when it hit 3/4 and check under the hood. The fan was all messed up. it is on crooked. and wouldnt spin. it was seazed. so I took it off and saw a leak in the radiator on the bottom corner. so I now need to put a new fan and radiator on it. Which radiator? http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=5593
or

http://catalog.autohausaz.com/autoh...55z1qpg145&partner=autohausaz&product=7549298

G1000-29108

Radiator Copper/Brass

Yes

$288.00

$143.77

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The EEUROPARTS one one is aluminium and plastic, the one from autohaus is copper and brass. and its only a little more. you think still go from the aluminium one?

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
davidlytle said:
The EEUROPARTS one one is aluminium and plastic, the one from autohaus is copper and brass. and its only a little more. you think still go from the aluminium one?
Well the copper one will work better, but it won't last as long - you choose :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're sure it wasn't just a leaky hose or the drain valve on the bottom corner leaking?

This one is factory.
Im sure because all the hoses are new. when I removed the right fan/passanger fan there was a bit of coolant at the base in the corner.

Also would anyone recomend me getting a radiator from a junk yard. I will try the fans from the yard but what do you think about the radiator?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Will the Valeo original be better, especially for a turbo:confused: ?
davidlytle said:
Well I just had a bad day. I was driving and my temp gauge started to climb. pulled over when it hit 3/4 and check under the hood. The fan was all messed up. it is on crooked. and wouldnt spin. it was seazed. so I took it off and saw a leak in the radiator on the bottom corner. so I now need to put a new fan and radiator on it. Which radiator? http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=5593
or

http://catalog.autohausaz.com/autohausaz/detailw.jsp?sid=cr1t5qbvuw4l5t55z1qpg145&partner=autohausaz&product=7549298

G1000-29108

Radiator Copper/Brass

Yes

$288.00

$143.77

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
ejenner said:
I thought you scrapped your 8v Matthew?

I hope not, his 8v is my favorite car on this site :D

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
The rad you want (and I want!) is part # 75 49 298 I think. That's the turbo-spec version. There is a non-turbo spec version but it's less efficient.

Go for a brand new Nissens copper/brass radiator. At the same time, buy (I think one of the UK places has them) a radiator fitting kit which includes all the rubber mounting bits as they don't come with the rad's.

Craig.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Radiator is leaking just a little bit. Replaced the fan with one from a junk yard (works perfect) I cant believe out of 7 cars I check only one had the fans still in it!? Also si there a way to take the radiator out with the fans attached? I tried to remove the radiator and fans from a 900 today with an auto tranny and it wouldnt come out. NO WAY not without taking the fans off. I even took the bumper off and tried to take the black piece of metal off (the one that the hood latch goes into) wouldnt come off. Is there anyway to take that off?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
davidlytle said:
Radiator is leaking just a little bit. Replaced the fan with one from a junk yard (works perfect) I cant believe out of 7 cars I check only one had the fans still in it!? Also si there a way to take the radiator out with the fans attached? I tried to remove the radiator and fans from a 900 today with an auto tranny and it wouldnt come out. NO WAY not without taking the fans off. I even took the bumper off and tried to take the black piece of metal off (the one that the hood latch goes into) wouldnt come off. Is there anyway to take that off?
Yes that does come out - it's the 'upper member' which bolts to the chassis rails at the bottom, and the top bar section of it bolts to the front of each front fender section.

But if you did want to take that out you need to remove quite a lot of stuff.

I think you're right in saying that with an auto transmission car, you have to remove at least the left-side (A/C or aux) fan from the radiator before you can tilt it back far enough to lift it out clear of the upper member and the front of the engine/transmission.

Craig.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Matthew said:
OE manufacturer of 99 and 9000 radiators is Blackstone (as with the intercoolers).

Who was OE manufacturer for the 900's radiators? Blackstone again?
Possibly - the rad I recovered from an 86 aero recently which I have planned to use as a replacement for the leaking/blocked rad in my 81 turbo is a Blackstone radiator.

Craig.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Matthew said:
A quick search on the 'net for Blackstone radiators was fruitless. Anyone got any ideas?
Google throws up plenty of references, but nothing (yet) with direct information about the company which probably doesn't exist anymore.

Craig.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
A good hard google suggests it was sold to Valeo in 1989.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE5DA153AF931A3575AC0A96F948260

Nissen appears to be a Danish independent.
www.nissens.dk
Yep I was looking at the Nissens site yesterday.

Thanks for the pointer re blackstone though - I've never consider valeo's products to be much good but perhaps they are and it's just not something which we consider for our older Saab's as a first option.

Craig.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts