SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm upgrading my OEM discs/pads to slotted rotors and performance pads before I put on a TD04. I got a good deal on front & rear slotted discs on eBay and now I'm checking into the pad options. I'm not into track days or driving mentally fast - I just want brakes that are up to the capability of the rest of the car (240bhp before TD04). Not too noisy and less dust would be nice, but not as important as stopping ability. Anybody help me out with their comments/experience???

The UK's Farts-for-slabs and ElkPlants are the obvious source for these bits (but I'm open to other suggestions) and their options seem to be Pagid, Black Diamond, EBC Red, TarOx, Brembo and Mintex. Pagid seem the best bang for the buck with Black Diamond a close 2nd at just under the cost of the OEM parts. EBC Red-Stuff's bedding-in compound sounds interesting, but is it just a gimmick or would it be really advantageous as I've got brand new discs? I'm afraid Mintex & Brembo are both over the £100 so probably more than I really want to pay.

Finally, when I'm doing the job I'll bleed/replace the brake fluid and I'll also need to clean the protective coating off the new discs - any suggestions for good products for these jobs?

Cheers and thanks for the helpful suggestions I know will come.

:)

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
You mentioned the rest now I'll mention the best Ferodo DS2500 :cool: bearing in mind I'm 40bhp less than yourself and I consider these pads essential just for road use, we've got big buses don't forget.

For the Ferodo pads, how about these guys in Strathaven very competitive but still just over £100 per axle, dust? if you're not getting dust there not working :lol: , EBC greenstuff sell on this granted they work well but not great - cheap enough though.

The protective coat ? I presume you mean the 'mill oil' they have on them, for this I use methylated spirits or carbon tetrachloride [panel wipe in the trade] for this purpose.

Now there has been much talk on non Saab boards regarding Bendix Jurid pads, no experience myself of the product but they have a bedding in coat on the friction face that helps establish the chemical friction between surfaces, this lasts about 90miles then there ready to run.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for that. My budget is around the £100 mark so unfortunately that rules out the Ferodos along with the Mintex and Brembos.
Porterfield got a good mention elsewhere on here too, but like so many american sites they just don't seem able to ship outside the US. :roll:
Given all the above it's most likely I'm going to be choosing between Pagid, BlackDiamond, EBC & TarOx. Any experience of these out there......?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Hawk is another possibility, with good performance credentials here stateside, but not sure about shipping....

I usually use acetone or a non-chlorinated brake cleaner to clean off any schmutz from the rotors. Carbon Tet is some evil stuff :eek: (Works, though!)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I managed to find an outlet for Hawk here in the UK but they were only listing pads for Evos & Iprezzas - doh!

Anyway, impatience got the better of me and I ended up back at the two suppliers mentioned above. In the post are a set of EBC Red-Stuffs for the front, and a set of Pagid fast road pads for the rear. The fronts obviously do the majority of the work so I thought it better to prioritise performance here.

From the lack of response to this thread, it sounds like no-one really has experience of the reds - I'll let folk know how I get on!

Cheers - T9

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
EBC redstuff, from 'Cavalier' experience I can tell you that they're actually no better than either the Mintex M1144 or Ferodo DS2500 in general performance but require time to get warmed up, so, please be mindful that when cold they seem to not work, once hot they're sweet :cool: , they used to be quite affordable, is this still the case?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting to hear that re warm-up time. Most of my driving is in the city so I'm on the brakes all the time but I doubt that's be a stretch for the reds. After that it's Highland roads at speed. With the ever-present dangers of sheep on the road or deer jumping out on you, good emergency stopping ability is a rarely-used but occasional necessity. (I'm at 2 sheep, 1 deer so far!).

Cost for the reds was £80 and the rears were excellent value at £28. I went slightly over my budget after postage, but that's "because I'm worth it". ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts