SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My great uncle owned a body shop and when I asked hime which type of oil I should use in my 97 900SE with 130K miles on it he recommended that I go with the classic dinosaur oil. Alot of posts on these threads say synthetic. Should I stick with the Pennzoil High Mileage Oil or switch to a synthetic?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
JeremyS said:
My great uncle owned a body shop and when I asked him which type of oil I should use in my 97 900SE with 130K miles on it he recommended that I go with the classic dinosaur oil. A lot of posts on these threads say synthetic. Should I stick with the Pennzoil High Mileage Oil or switch to a synthetic?
I am happy and satisfied with the Mobil One 10-30, changed every 4 months or so. Three cars, all automatics, total mileage is now over 420K miles..
Engines have changed/improved much since your great uncle's days...

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
You can use the synthetic in your car but you might see some seepage around oil seals. Some folks do a couple of changes with semi-syn then fully change over to syn.

Frequent changes with dino will probably be ok, too.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Oil is one of our favorite themes. As the others have noted, there is a chance of seepage with a switch to synthetic. There's also a question about how much good it will do at 130K.

FWIW, I use 10W40 high mileage castrol in the summer, and 5W30 in the winter. With my engine being as old as it is, it just seems quieter in the summer with the 10W40 stuff. I'd use synthetic, but it's hard to find a 40 wt synthetic. This is the first summer with the castrol high mileage and it seems pretty happy with it.

I did have some very minor seeps with the synthetic, but nothing that ever hit the ground or caused me to add more oil between changes.

Also, if you think the oil changes might have been neglected, you might consider doing a flush or more frequent oil changes. www.auto-Rx.com sells some stuff that works well, but takes a while to work.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I use 5w30 mobile1. I did get a bit of seepage after the switch from the engine seals. Not enough to go back though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have the same car as you, and asked the same question about a year ago when I got it.

The discussions on these boards about oil are pretty interesting, but as you probably noticed there is no overall consensus. I did get the impression the majority of us do use synthetic.

My own conclusion was that the benefits of full synthetic far outweighed any potential drawbacks, so with my higher-mileage engine (100K+) I decided to go with Mobil1 0w40 (synth), and in a year (2 changes) I haven't noticed any seepage to worry about, nor have I needed to add oil. I'm not convinced the seals will suffer so much. Like Earthworm said, oil has come a long way as have engines and I wanted to take advantage of that-- I figure anything dino can do, synthetic can do better!

Then again, with frequent changes you probably can't make a wrong choice (as long as you buy the good-quality stuff). Good luck!

T

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Actually asked my dealer 'service advisor' about this recently.
He was pretty forthcoming.
He said the T-5 systems should use a semi-synth and the T-7's should use a full synth. He said if you do 5K oil changes in a T-5 you are just wasting money if you use a full syn (I know that's blaspemy to all you full syn users, sorry).

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Just ran across something while searching about oils on a Mazda3 forum for my wife's car.

By all means do the 5w-30 vs 0w-20 comparison. But do remember that mobil1 5w-30 sheers below a 20wt oil after just a few thousand miles. Its not sheer stable.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=6527.0

its reply 12

So this person is stating that mobile1 5w30 is not sheer stable and will break down even lower than a 20 weight oil after a few thousand miles. Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
302 Posts
CleveSaab said:
He said the T-5 systems should use a semi-synth and the T-7's should use a full synth. He said if you do 5K oil changes in a T-5 you are just wasting money if you use a full syn (I know that's blaspemy to all you full syn users, sorry).
Not blasphemy so much as a little surprising! Did the SA give you any technical reasoning behind his opinion, or could he just have been stating a personal preference? What does he see as requiring the difference in oils, between T5 and T7 engines?

Personally I still think synthetic's a better oil technology for anybody, but I'd be curious to hear the opposing view. Not that I think there's any ulterior motive or anything, but I tend to be naturally skeptical of dealer service people.

T

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Tarpot said:
Did the SA give you any technical reasoning behind his opinion, or could he just have been stating a personal preference? What does he see as requiring the difference in oils, between T5 and T7 engines?
Sorry I missed your question.
I think mostly pers preference as he has a 97 900SE with just over 200K miles on her. More than anyone else at the dealer. Semi- all the way.
He did allude to this: full syn in a 900 should go more then 5K miles without breaking down. At 5K miles niether the full syn or the semi is dangerously degraded, they are almost at the same level of degradation, therefore it is just an extra expense to use it.
We didn't really discuss the 9-3. It was more of an afterthought as I was leaving.
"Same for the 9-3's?"
"No, I'd use full in a 9-3".
Maybe that's because it's what he's told to say? :cheesy:
Maybe better vs. sludging?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
CleveSaab said:
Not new to SAAB but am new to the Forum. I am usually in the 93 SS Forum but now that I've bought a used 2000SE for my son I'm here too.

What's a T5 vs. a T7? Wasn't on the Forum when I had my 96NG or my 87 900.
Tried to search but wouldn't go through (maybe too general a term)

Of course I use only syn 0W 40 in my 2004, but always used dino oil in my 96. Of course it did die after 183,000 (lower end blew up) with regular 5k oil changes ( all highway driving). Following this with interest and may go to semisyn in this 2000

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
T5 and T7 are engine management changes I believe.

Looking around the old wal-mart for Mobil1 and was dismayed to find no 0W-40. They did have 5W-40 but it said 'Specially forumulated for Truck and SUV'. Wonder if this would be ok in a Saab engine?

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
As I've posted lately, one big difference between the T5's and T7's is the oil pump. The T-7 (aka post 99 9-3 as well as all 9-5's) uses a more cheaply made oil pump and it appears to be very sensitive to wear from sludge and anything else that makes it through the pickup. Saab now officially recommends full synth for the 9-3.

I use Mobil 1 in a variety of viscosities but usually gravitate back to 10W30. There's no such thing as clean used oil, so I certainly don't mind doing changes between 3-5k miles. Another thought for high mileage cars is that increased blow by means more gasoline getting into the oil. Gas in oil bad...

I've been an AMSOIL doubter for the longest time since I don't like their marketing. However, I have met a second generation AMSOIL user who has been in the position to compare it to various other oils since the late 1960's. He swears by it and won't use anything else. Food for thought.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
My local mechanic, who I stand by 110% (almost exclusive saab shop...) has been putting 5w-30 half syn / half dino for , er, a year. I usually go there for oil changes and to ask a bazillion questions on how to do things myself. Not a very good 'customer', but they seem to like me enough =)

I drive a '99 9-3 (t5!) automagic and it's been purring like a kitten.

IN fact, just had it changed yesterday, and the new kid they hired put straight up dino oil in it, which they were not happy with, and then drained and put the 1/2 1/2 mixture in. (two oil changes in one day(!)).

Also got a nice, free, 'rear shelf' that I've been lacking since purchasing the car...

If you're around Portland, Maine, check out 'Back Bay Auto'. Top notch folks, top notch work and a very friendly environment...

peace,
bny

1 - 15 of 15 Posts