SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also, what can I used for a ground up there? Installing a V1 for my wife. Did a search. Can't find anything current on V1 installs for a 9-3.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pulled the black wiring harness per his instructions. mine looks a lot different, with a lot less wiring going on up there. i don't have a sunroof or a dimming mirror.

anyway, the back harness isn't plugged into anything. it has three wires going to it. red, black, and yellow. anybody know if this power source is switched?

this is my wifes car. i'm convinces she'll either never turn it on or forget to turn it off if I don't used a switched power source.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can anyone post a link to the faq section on hardwiring the radar?

i've looked all over and I can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
413 Posts
deputydog95 said:
can anyone post a link to the faq section on hardwiring the radar?

i've looked all over and I can't find it anywhere.
Best to test with a meter. It appears no one here (whos seen your post) knows. Id guess the black is an earth. but test to make sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what about the faq section. i keep finding old threads about wiring these up in the faq section, but I can't find the the faq section. can somebody tell me where the link to the radar faq is?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The FAQ doesn't address the "no auto dimming rearview mirror/no sunroof" question. I don't think.

I need that info too.......

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Guys, the FAQ only collects info others have found out. We did it by taking stuff apart & testing. If you find yourself pioneering the way, and discovering new info, by all means post it! It will then find it's way to the FAQ.

Buy a cheap voltmeter @ the Shack & test the leads. You know where they are, that's half the battle!

On a seperate note, I thought all US 9-3s have autodimming mirrors. Are you saying your 2005 does not?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Viscouse said:
On a seperate note, I thought all US 9-3s have autodimming mirrors. Are you saying your 2005 does not?
According the Saab website, not available on '05 Linears and only in the option packages on the Arc (Driver's pkg) & Aero (Touring pkg). I remember seeing this when I was looking there a while ago - I thought this had been already collected here as a decontenting issue, but maybe not...

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Code:
Auto-dimming mirror with integrated garage door opener and compass
Perhaps a bad assumption on my part. I assumed if it didn't have the compass & opener, it would at least be autodimming.

So this means in the US there are 2 flavors: compass/opener/dimming, and either
1. Butkus (nothing)
2. Autodimming.

I don't know which it is.

EDIT: I found out on my own. Linears have the manual mirror without autodimming or compass (at least 03's).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i hate to be a pain, but i will anyway :)

i have a volt meter. but i have no idea how to use it. it has quite a few settings. could you point me in the right direction (setting, what i should be looking for, etc...). i'm not afraid to get in there and do it if i have a little guidance.

i will be happy to post my findings.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
How to Use a Multimeter

Alright, I'll take a whack at this. I ain't no EE, but I do know what 120V AC feels like.

Keep in mind, I have no idea where you're coming from, so I'll throw somethign out there, and then you throw something back, like questions.
Step one, make yourself a nice work area. Take off enough panels so you aren't contorting while doing surgery. There should be enough info in previous posts to help with that.
Step two, you're looking for metal in the wiring harness. You found a 3-wire plug with nothing plugged in. That's actually good.
Step 3: keep track of combos You have 3 wires, so there are 3 combos you will try. But I'm getting ahead of myself...
Step 4: grab that multimeter. There should be some combination of settings to allow you to measure DC Volts. Not AC volts, not resistance (Ω) or anything else.
Step 5: Touch the 2 test leads to 2 of the wires, and see what it says. You should be able to do this be jamming the test lead into the connector either the front side, or the back side (where the wire is). The latter is usually easier.
I'm guessing the voltage will either be 0, 5 or 12 (or something really close to 12 like 13, 13.5). Do this for wires 1&2, 1&3, 2&3. Remember which combo gives you 12+ volts.
Step 6: Polarity: voltage is directional, it flows only 1 way. Once you've found the correct 2 wires, it will either be 12+ or 12- (your display should tell you). If the display is 12-, switch the leads around. Now that it is reading 12+, whatever wire the red test lead is on is you "hot" wire, and the other wire is ground. This assumes your multimeter test leads are red & black?

Hopefully you will have found a good place to hook stuff up.
Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
viscouse, does it matter if you use the black wire for ground, or should i be using a metal bolt in there? i couldn't really find anything to attach the ground to in the overhead on my car. i got proper readings on the meter using the black wire as my ground and it seems to working fine.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I don't think it makes a difference. Ground is ground.
No, I take it back. sometimes ground runs through a module, and is required for proper operation of a circuit (probably not in this case, but you never know).

It's usually a good idea if you use a power lead, to use the corresponding ground.

But if it works, go with it. :cool:

Glad it all worked out. Good writeup. I'll add it to the FAQ.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what do you mean by:

"It's usually a good idea if you use a power lead, to use the corresponding ground"

isn't that what I would be doing in this case since the power and ground are in the same plug?

if it's working does that mean it's fine the way it is? like i said, i got the proper numbers on the multimeter.

sorry for so many questions, but i'm new to this.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Yep. Based on what you said, I think you're all good. I'm just confusing the situation. :cheesy:

Yes, the "corresponding ground" is the one in the same plug (probably used for the same circuit)

If it works, go with it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts