SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,597 Posts
The 06 "king cobra" intake flows better, but requries you to ship the turbo (or at least the compressor housing) to Genuinesaab. This adds complexity to the install, which you would need to balance against the gains.

I personally did the shiny pipe on my GT17 in about 15 minutes with no additional shipping around or core fees to worry about. If I would have done a TD04 swap though, I would have had it machined for the 06 intake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stipud said:
The 06 "king cobra" intake flows better, but requries you to ship the turbo (or at least the compressor housing) to Genuinesaab. This adds complexity to the install, which you would need to balance against the gains.
You can avoid sending in the cold side by paying the refundable core charge correct?

I personally did the shiny pipe on my GT17 in about 15 minutes with no additional shipping around or core fees to worry about. If I would have done a TD04 swap though, I would have had it machined for the 06 intake.
Notice much of a difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,597 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
You can avoid sending in the cold side by paying the refundable core charge correct?

Notice much of a difference?
If you pay the core charge, they will send you a new compressor housing, but you will have to take apart your turbo to install it. Then you send back your compressor housing and they refund your core fee.

There was indeed a noticable difference with the GS pipe, especially when tuned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
The '06 exchange has to be the way to go, surely :confused:

I seem to remember reading a comment from Nick that he'd hardly sold a single one of these upgrades except for the chap (who's name I forget) that helped him complete the design.

If I had the choice I know which I'd be going for ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
Justin, remember this pic?



Top one is pre '06 T7 pipe
Middle one is '06 T7 pipe
Bottom one is aftermarket T7 (Abbott not GS)

Just look at the width of that '06 cobra :eek:
Plus with the cast pieces the airflow is smoother and it's response to heatsoak is far superior.

They would be much more aesthetically pleasing though if the exterior could be polished up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh wow, that's a great picture to show the difference between the pipes! I definately don't remember seeing it before though, I probably passed it up somehow.

I can understand why the +06 upgrade kit would make more of a difference, and since it's cheaper, that is definately the way I'm going to go once I get some money! Thanks fellas! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
stipud said:
If you pay the core charge, they will send you a new compressor housing, but you will have to take apart your turbo to install it. Then you send back your compressor housing and they refund your core fee.

There was indeed a noticable difference with the GS pipe, especially when tuned.
Is the compressor housing same for all 95; Aero 2.3L & Linear 2.0L ?

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
swede turbo said:
Is the compressor housing same for all 95; Aero 2.3L & Linear 2.0L ?

Thanks in advance.
No, ones a Mitsubishi TD-04 (Aero) and the other is a Garrett GT17. (2.0L)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
No, ones a Mitsubishi TD-04 (Aero) and the other is a Garrett GT17. (2.0L)
Thanks.

Oops...I just ordered from GenuineSaab with the new housing...Do you think they will ship the correct housing TD-04 to me as I had paid for the core charges?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
swede turbo said:
Thanks.

Oops...I just ordered from GenuineSaab with the new housing...Do you think they will ship the correct housing TD-04 to me as I had paid for the core charges?
The TD-04 is the only housing available for the machined upgrade.

If you have a GT17, I'd hurry up and cancel that order before it ships!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
The TD-04 is the only housing available for the machined upgrade.

If you have a GT17, I'd hurry up and cancel that order before it ships!
I just checked with my agent in Singapore at my ride is indeed TD04 as stock, thus will be wondering whether it is be an improvement on this item:confused:

Thanks, you've been great help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
swede turbo said:
I just checked with my agent in Singapore at my ride is indeed TD04 as stock, thus will be wondering whether it is be an improvement on this item:confused:

Thanks, you've been great help.
It will help! The TD-04 cold side is machined so that it can suck in more air more efficiently. Great upgrade from what I hear!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Just received the KingCobraKit from GenuineSaab, the machined turbo intake pipe & housing but cannot install as it comes in a bunjo screw type but my ride is of push-in coupling type. Had informed them earlier on my year & make.

The compressor housing received is TD04HL-15T, wondering whether it is suitable for my ride MY04 Aero as I cannot see it unless I start dismantling.

Heard that you also need an O-ring or gasket for this installation too.

Any advise how to proceed ?

Thks in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
stipud said:
The GS intake does look really good next to the GS delivery pipe :cool:

That DI is gonna fall off :nono;
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top