SaabCentral Forums banner

Which DIC should I get for my 06 9-5? / Cold start issues

1540 Views 58 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  yashi
Trying to find the closest longest lasting cassette to stock, and came up with two options. eSaabParts has one for sale but it's not SEM. Link here.

Second option is Rock Auto's NGK. From what I've been seeing, some have said NGK made the original cassettes. Link here.

I want the closest option to OEM/SEM obviously. My car has been struggling to start below 65F as of recently, occuring on multiple cold starts, it will either stumble and not start, or if I hold the key it will eventually stumble into a very rough slow start. This is the same car that threw a flashing check engine light when I floored it one rainy day. The spark plugs are however brand new and the type the car prefers.

My friends have said it's either starter related (starter is very tired sounding compared to two other 9-5's), fuel pump related (gas gauge doesn't work, unrelated but worth mentioning), or what I think is the DIC due to the CEL coincidence. My MPG has also fallen from 27+ to 26.0 which I find interesting.

Here's a link to three different cold starts.

Thanks!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
13,168 Posts
In my book, the jury is still out on what’s going on with the transition from SEM to NGK and now to this new ”Saab Original”.
I don't think that's right. I think everyone is pretty clear on what's going on.

WVE was a US distributor of SEM products
NGK bought Wells
NGK became the US distributor of SEM products
SEM stopped manufacturing T7 DICs a couple years ago
Orio designed & began manufacture of a non-SEM DIC about two years ago

Your options are:

1. Buy a SEM/WVE/NGK DIC that was made before manufacturing stopped #55559955
2. Buy an Orio DIC that was made 2021+ #32022255

· Registered
13,168 Posts
The '08 I picked up over the summer enjoyed a dramatically improved idle with a new Orio DIC as well. I had already replaced the motor mounts and was not impressed with idle quality, but the new DIC got it very close to very good.

· Registered
13,168 Posts
"Slower" is the key word here... Do you mean it cranks longer before starting, or it cranks slower? Slow cranking is the sign of a discharged battery, which will be worse when cold or hot, and better in middle temps.

· Registered
13,168 Posts
Crank sensors essentially only work or they don't. A cheap one probably won't last long, but probably will be fine until then.

Cars do not run right, especially when cold, with vacuum leaks.

· Registered
13,168 Posts
If a DIC fails it is definitive, it just doesn't work.
I'm not sure that's precisely true. The DIC in my Viggen had no codes, no clear indication it was bad. But, power was lower than expected and the only unusual thing I could find was high fuel trim. I put a new Orio DIC in and fuel trim went back to normal along with power output.

The 9-5 had a rough idle but generally ran fine. It wasn't until a single random misfire code - that I could not reproduce - caused me to suspect the DIC. Replaced it and both problems were solved.

There is definitely room in the DIC death spiral for issues without concrete proof, like a CEL or no start.

· Registered
13,168 Posts
Flashing CEL could be DIC or a vacuum leak or a MAF issue... Glad to hear the CPS improved things, but it seems like there's more work to do. A flashing CEL will end in an expensive repair pretty quickly.

· Registered
13,168 Posts
Nothing is as good at 20+ years old as it was when new, and more often than not cheap used car turns into an nickel & dime affair. You paid $2k up front for probably a $4k car, so it's definitely gonna need $2k of work.

If you are prepared to take on those tasks, sometimes there's money to saved (of course that costs your time...) but - my experience - owning a car more than a few years old and relying on a shop to keep it up will quickly outstrip the cost of buying a new car and making payments. When labor rates were $50 or $60 an hour, it was manageable, but with labor rates at $125 or $150 an hour you only get 2-3 hours of shop time a month before you've made a car payment. I mean, not on a premium car, but on a Toyota or something. Kinda sucks anyway.

Old cars are about passion or gambling. The former always pays off, the latter only if you control all the variables. Like the labor rate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts