SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a 1996 (N reg) Saab 900 2.0 Turbo, the front brakes pads are virtually none existant and in desperate need of replacement. My local shop has offered me 2 standard replacements but doesn't know which will fit, he says that they'll either be Lucas or Teves brake pads. How can i tell which ones to order (i can not see any writing/makes on the calipers)? Please advise.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
In '97 larger front brakes were introduced; the pads changed again in '98.....but this is American specs.....
You may need rotors as well - how do they look ??
Welcome to Saab Central and enjoy...:cheesy:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say rotors do you mean discs? Possibly another UK English & USA English difference (like handbrake and e brake?). If so, it has had new disks all round, if not, i don't know what rotors are so it will more than likely need new ones! Still need help with choosing a pad which will fit.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes, rotors = discs, we call them disc brakes in America, but decided we need yet another word in our vocabulary.... :confused:

And we sometimes spell it disks :cheesy:

Our language is so intriguing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is rubbish (or garbage), the guy has said that they will either have Lucas or Teves callipers and pads, can anyone help?

p.s The words fanny and *** can also be miss construde when hopping across the pond!

·
Registered
10,625 Posts
I don't know why your mechanic is hung up on the caliper manufacturer, but my '97 uses ATE (Alfred Teves Engineering) calipers for that's worth. If you check any site that sells Saab pads, they'll all say that '94 through '96 Saab 900s all use the same pads. Besides, a mechanic ought to be able to take the pads back to his supplier if he gets the wrong ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is of help, i'm just going to order both lots and return the ones that don't fit. All sites say 94 - 96 and 96-98, with my car being a 96 this doesn't help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've worked it out!!! Saab changed the pads part way through 96. if you have alloys on then look through them (or take the wheel off if not), if the edge of the pad (nearest to the wheel hub) is smooth and round then your pads are the ones up to 96, if your pads have a bump half way round the edge (about a 10mm round very noticable bump) then your pads are 96 onwards. Hope this helps another 900 1996 owner with nackered pads out of no mans land. Enjoy your saabs (and your new found way of stopping one)! :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts