SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im nearing completion of building my "new" 900 turbo engine and would like to which aftermarket ecu people are recomending?

im thinking of emerald as the guys seems pretty nice and i have heard good rumours

i know this is not as sophisticated as the haltech or the motec unit but is a lot cheeper - £550 plus vat and MAP sensor at £70
is the extra sophistication needed? the car will run better than the old ecu is able to run it - yes?

how are the injectors wired on the saab are they in 2 batches?

what is the advantage on going to crank position sensor - just more accuracy?
can i use the sensor off an non turbo 900 with say a ford 36 tooth wheel?
do i then need to run a wasted spark system? or just twin coils?

out of interest has anyone got the megasquirt working reliably?

thanks
Rob

·
Registered
772 Posts
When I was searching I looked at Haltec, Motec, Wolf, SDS, & a few others. For what I was looking for & who I talked to Autronic was my best option. The Autronic does not allow me to datalog however for me I did not feel it was needed. I figure once the engine is tuned it, I will not need to adj anything, it will be ready to run. The shop that I had do the dyno work said water injection wasn't even needed :)

I forget where I took my crank sensor from. It's was all off of C900 saab's & was pretty easy to do using OEM parts. I will get the years & info, just have to find where I wrote it down :)

For ignition, I axed the distributor (well kinda) & used a MSD-DIS 2 for spark

·
Banned
637 Posts
And what boost levels were you planning on for this 900??
Makes a difference :).
Stanadard Trans can survive OEM boost levels.. Just.. Although I've seen a Large Pile of trans shafts with their 2nd gear teeth entirely removed by OEM boost (and seemingly Hamhanded Drivers one would assume )
Seriously suggest you devote some Time/$$ on a 4sp[eed able to handle the extra Torque Long before dicking around with an aftermarket ECU.. given the OEM APC system is 'fine' to at least 18 psi. where it's only real limitations are with the skill of the modder.
Knowledge is often much more usefull that just buying Bits :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
the audi guys i know are useing 034efi (www.034efi.com), small operation , but their stuff is phenomonal, works for saabs to with a bit of modification...

-alex

err... sorry for bringing up a dead post...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Basre said:
And what boost levels were you planning on for this 900??
Makes a difference :).
Stanadard Trans can survive OEM boost levels.. Just.. Although I've seen a Large Pile of trans shafts with their 2nd gear teeth entirely removed by OEM boost (and seemingly Hamhanded Drivers one would assume )
Seriously suggest you devote some Time/$$ on a 4sp[eed able to handle the extra Torque Long before dicking around with an aftermarket ECU.. given the OEM APC system is 'fine' to at least 18 psi. where it's only real limitations are with the skill of the modder.
Knowledge is often much more usefull that just buying Bits :)
Not really a issue of stock or not stock boost levels, but more about the HP/torque the engine is developing! Take Gary's SPG, at 15 PSI it's about 330 whp (having issues presently though, only 240 whp). Also consider pretty much everyone who is using a aftermarket ECU is not using the stock turbo thus at less boost there is a lot more power :)

which kills the trans

·
Registered
255 Posts
In deciding to go with a standalone system how much would it cost for a performance shop to install it and program it? Now i'm in NH (USA) and all the performance shops around here and racing shops have never dealt with a saab so that really concerns me. Now my dad's 25 year experience in working on saabs as a hobbie, and ofcouse i know my *** from my elbow on my car how bad is it to rewire the ecu/install this system??? cause all were talking about is the sensors, ign and fuel wires...apc corrrect? Along with that if i actually installed this and plugged my laptop in with a program they give me with the system is it simple to program? Now i'm obvisouly thinking in terms of having a week off or weekend off to do this in my garage, and then program the system so the car runs safe and correctly and then pay for dyno time which allows me to program the ecu via pc.i've never done anything like this interms of programing. Obvisouly that would be a reason to have a performance company do it but they dont know crap about older saabs and there whole swedish wiring and engine setup ;), and i don't know about you other guys but people working on my car who don't know "the car" really gets to me.

With that in mind and reading these posts which system would you reccommend and a list of exactly what i would need along with the system?
What saab parts would i need to make it work? i have an 87 spg....2.1 block, msd coil, 30lb injectors, fmic, 3" turboback exhaust, blah blah blah. so now my limit is my ecu and turbo which is on the way.

As for price can i get everything i need (system) not the saab parts. for like under a grand something that i can reprogram on a laptop. I'm talking about 250-300 hp, instead of screwing around with the AMM, APC, remapping the ECU i want to junk that and go with something i can program and use effectively.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If you want to talk to Gary shoot him a email & he can tell you why he went with what he did as well as a general idea of costs, his email addy is

SPG900 at mail dot saabnet dot com

with the list of what you need, depends on how you want to hook things up & which ECU you choose.

Dyno time can get pricey, the local shop that Gary looked at wanted $175 for the 1st hr then $125 a hr thereafter & that DID NOT include a tech to work on him car. So Gary drove a few hrs to a shop in Kentucky who was very familiar with Autronic & they charged $100 a hr including a tech. I think he payed around $1000 for the dyno time however he had cam issues which prolonged the dyno time by quite a bit.

If you want, shoot him a email & he can help

·
Registered
255 Posts
how much did GM system cost...any like DIY page on it and what system did he use?? The past 30 min I went over Vince T's page and his complete install. Something like this would suit me, for one he has a very detailed page i can follow along with, he did it himself so i know i can do it and also i want to ask him how he programmed it...etc how long was it easy? If i go with sds i will be getting the Em-4e/msd since i will be using my distributor. The sds is ehhhh a lil steep on the price side, plus i'll have to buy the $90 map sensor, $30 fuel relay... so i am new at this and was expecting to spend maybe under a grand but whateva :p..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts