SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I want to upgrade my 2002+ vector-aero partly leather seats to 2002+ aero-vector all leather seats.

It seems to me that from 2004+ http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146400
the leather quality went down again. Is this true? Or when did they downgraded the leather quality? Which aero model years have leather and which ones synthetic leather?
There was later an option for premium leather? When? Is it the best 2002+ leather in the 9-5?
Thanks in advance

G

·
There was later an option for premium leather? When? Is it the best 2002+ leather in the 9-5?
MY08 and 09 hav the premium natural aniline leather as an option. The leather in my 2005 seems a bit nicer than in my 2006 but it's always difficult to tell if you don't have them next to each other for comparing.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any website where i can find the leather options for different model years?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Seems to me that the beige leather is a lot nicer feeling than the grey/black leather - it's one of the things that tipped me toward getting a beige-interior car. The leather in my '05 is pretty nice, though not leather-glove soft. It seems pretty comparable to the beige leather in an '02 I test drove, though it was a while apart, and maintenance would have an effect.

The black leather in an 04 I test drove seemed stiff and vinyl-y, and the black leather in my mom's 2006 9-3 is so bad I wasn't sure it was leather at all.

I'm kind of curious about the other leather-ish surfaces in the 9-5. I've heard that only the seating surfaces themselves are real leather and the rest isn't; certainly the side/back of the seats, the arm rest, and the door panels look and feel different than the seat surfaces, but they're also not worn the same way. Anyone know the score on that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Frankly, I've been amazed at the high quality of the leather I have in my MY 2000 Aero w/ blower seats. With over 100k miles, they seem barely broken in! That compares quite favorably to the other cars I've owned with leather interiors.

For instance: always look at the outside edge of the driver's side backrest. That's always the first edge to show wear, from the driver entering and exiting the car. Note that the beaded edge may lose a bit of color, but it's very difficult to tear or rip.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi there,
I too am particularly surprised by how little wear there is on my MY01 Aero. They have had someone sitting in them for nearly 160,000 miles and they are in far better condition than an 82K Saab NG900 when I bought it. The interior is grey.

I've also noticed the door cards do appear to be leather. I assume the previous owner had some left hand bling as there is ring wear to the leather behind the door handle.
I'm not sure about the rest of the interior being leather but it has certainly worn well.

I also found being a taller driver that I didn't fit in MY02+ seats. My seating position was higher despite the seats being at their lowest position.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The leather seats in my 2004 Aero are pretty nice. I noticed a difference in 2005. It looks more plasticky. I'd say 2002-2004 are the same, 2005 gets plasticky. The BACKS of the seats and my door panels are vinyl, but the seat-back pockets are leather.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The seats in my '03 Aero are very nicely made with good quality leather compared to '00 Aero which are kinda hard now. btw they look same as the pic above

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Honestly I thought the leather in my 00' wagon was the best of any car I have owned.
Mmmm. The leather in my 2001 was great. But I can't really say I liked it better than what's in my 2004. The 2004 is softer, but the 2001 SMELLED SO GOOD!!! And no, my car didn't have Crayon syndrome. (Oh yeah, the regular 9-5 seats feel like wooden park benches after driving an Aero for a little while).

This was when I Was putting it up for sale with 184k miles on it. Just a little wear on the driver bolster:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, the 1998-01 9-5 leather is awesome, i´ve personally seen one here with 400.000 kms (so like 250.000 miles) with them in great shape. But they just don´t have the better bolstered seats of 2002+.
Raquetelaker, it seems to me the part behind your knees when seated is also vinyl, am i wrong? I think there was an option for premium leather seats in the aero before 2005, but i have no idea if they are those you pictured.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I don't know guys, the leather in my 2004 Arc doesnt seem like leather, its thick and almost plastic like compared to the thin-fits like a glove leather in my '99 and my 2000.

·
Registered
691 Posts
It seems like with all the variations on leather after the model year 2002 that there must have been a "premium leather" option?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts