SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wheel Spacers

So I've been waiting for about a month (due to a back-order) to get my hands on some Eibach wheel spacers. well they finally came, so on they go!
I did 15mm in the front and 20mm in the back. i get NO rubbing, or anything like that.

The way I'm going about my Saab, is i will do performance this year, and next spring ill throw some wheels on it. so to break the monotony, i decided to "spice" up the wheels for the time being. i applied vinyl strips accordingly. i have already put a test batch (one wheel) through the ringer for about 2-3 months, and they hold up to all elements w/o a problem, so I'm not worried about them lasting.

take a peek, tell me what ya think.

Gunner

http://spaces.msn.com/members/IpunchFaces/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c01_photoalbum=showdefault&_c=photoalbum&_c02_owner=1

·
Registered
230 Posts
M4Gunner,

Love the exhaust and the smoked side lenses. I also am glad to finally see the Aero front air dam with the linears sides we talked bout in another thread. I am not thrilled with the trim on the wheels but that is just me. If I had my way my car would have BBS RKs or CHs on it by now - that is where my tastes lie.

Most importantly though, have you finally decided you are keeping your Saab (and thus sticking around the forum)?

-j-

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Don't like the tape on the wheels, it looks like someone stuck elctrical tape on your alloys.... I like the look of the standard alloys - the tape doesn't imrpve upon it. If you want to spice up the original alloys, you could get them resprayed in a darker grey. That might look a bit ricey though.

The skirts and smoked repeaters look great. Like the badgeless trunk lid too.

The spacers make the wheels fill the arches, but I would be a little concerned about the effect that the extra offset will have on the wheel bearings - you have really shifted the centreline of the wheel significantly... That would worry me. (I work for Caterpillar and used to design axles and wheel bearings - albeit somewhat bigger ;-) )

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya, like i said, im going to pick up some wheels, but PPC comes first. ;) and with the spacers, that opens up a wider variety of wheels due to a new offset. hmm... im thinkin about some deep-dishes that would make pizza-hut gasp!

as far as they vinyl on the wheels.. i think youd have to see it in person to appreciate it. (even then you may not like it) but it does look a million times better than pics can do it justice.

ive been waiting till "spring" to paint the rest of the sideskirts.. and now its almost july! guess i should get around to it. itll look 10x better.

Next project is a brake job and springs/dampers.

yeah jer, it look like ill be around a bit!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aero_adam said:
If you want to spice up the original alloys, you could get them resprayed in a darker grey. That might look a bit ricey though.
I thought about that originally. but like i said, im going to get new wheels next spring anyway, i couldnt see spending any money on the stock wheels. plus this way, its 100% reversable.

·
Registered
413 Posts
M4Gunner said:
I thought about that originally. but like i said, im going to get new wheels next spring anyway, i couldnt see spending any money on the stock wheels. plus this way, its 100% reversable.
Probably the only plus point in the whole sad issue. dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!

Bide your time and get the different alloys. Toss the vinyl tape in the trash. and put it down to youthful bad taste. :nono; trust me in 10 years time you wont believe you even thought about doing this.

You might have guessed I dont like it! at the end of the day its your car to do with as you see fit. Have fun! ;)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as i posted twice now, i AM getting aftermarket wheels.. just not till next spring. i respect your opinion, but dont try to make me out to be a kid. trust me, im not.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
DaveN

dont chicken curry about the Arsenal fan his North and South is bigger than his Khyber Pass he's completely Kate Mossed. Nothing but a bubble bath with nothing between the scotch eggs. A real ships anchor doesnt have a scooby doo.

·
Registered
413 Posts
DavidMorgan said:
dont chicken curry about the Arsenal fan his North and South is bigger than his Khyber Pass he's completely Kate Mossed. Nothing but a bubble bath with nothing between the scotch eggs. A real ships anchor doesnt have a scooby doo.
Dont know about our US contributors understanding of ****ney rhyming slang, but I'm somewhat further north than that, and most of that went sailing over my head.

Or is that ****ney with a hint of Garlic?

M4, Chill, I was't trying to be ageist.

sorry for the **** you cant give rhyming slang it full title here,

·
Registered
533 Posts
Where did you order it?, of the tape is not for me but the spacer kit look good!!

M4Gunner said:
So I've been waiting for about a month (due to a back-order) to get my hands on some Eibach wheel spacers. well they finally came, so on they go!
I did 15mm in the front and 20mm in the back. i get NO rubbing, or anything like that.

The way I'm going about my Saab, is i will do performance this year, and next spring ill throw some wheels on it. so to break the monotony, i decided to "spice" up the wheels for the time being. i applied vinyl strips accordingly. i have already put a test batch (one wheel) through the ringer for about 2-3 months, and they hold up to all elements w/o a problem, so I'm not worried about them lasting.

take a peek, tell me what ya think.

Gunner

http://spaces.msn.com/members/IpunchFaces/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c01_photoalbum=showdefault&_c=photoalbum&_c02_owner=1

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
drivewire.com. tho i cant recommend them. very slow and not eager to help. took over a month to complete the order.

·
Banned
975 Posts
I agree about the wheels, just save and buy aftermarket ones. You drive a Saab! not a Honduh ;) Also just to verify, the spacers push the wheels outward dont they? If i recall correctly my boss was telling me all about them, he said that my car would look sick with them. My biggest concern however would be handling. Do you feel a difference with handling? Rougher ride? Torque steer? Turning?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldnt using wheel spacers on a 9-3 interfere with the Re-Axs passive steering?
I did read somewhere, that using anything but the correct offset wheels as recommended by Saab affects the Re-Axs (in a bad way)?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
everything seems to be fine. if anything, i would say that it feels like there is less body roll. weather thats true or not, i dont know. it definitely feels better in turns tho. as for the re-axis, it hasn't given me any problems, and Eibach approves of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts